Hearst Castle and Sand Dollar Beach Questions

Jul 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Hearst Castle and Sand Dollar Beach Questions

Hoping to get some information about Sand Dollar Beach and Jade Beach:

-how long of a drive from Hearst Castle?

-how is access to the beaches?

-is it fairly likely that we would find a sand dollar and a piece of jade?

Is there a best time of day to visit Hearst Castle? (we plan to purchase tickets in advance)

Thank You!
Jul 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM

Sand Dollar Beach isn't far from San Simeon. As I recall it is south of Gorda, and Gorda is 30 miles.

We sometimes stop in the parking lot to use the restroom. The beach is a short walk away.

I don't know what your chances are of finding a sand dollar or a piece of jade; if I did, I strike it rich in Las Vegas.

I like the Hearst Castle in the evening, but any time of day is a good time to visit.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Happy Trails. (Are you an Autrey fan?)

On another board someone had said that the access to Sand Dollar beach was very difficult. Steep, loose rock, etc and not recommended. Did you find that to be true?

Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM

The access to Sand Dollar beach is steep, but the trail is fine. Lots and lots of people go up and down that trail without any problems. If you have mobility issues, then obviously it isn't recommended, but for your average person in reasonable shape, it is fine. I have found sand dollars there, but that was a long time ago. I don't know how common they are now.

As for Jade Cove, I believe it is so named because of the color of the water, not pieces of jade lying around on the beach
Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM

I'm not an Autry fan, but I am a fan of the Autry Museum of Western Heritage--a very entertaining place to spend time in LA.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed information, J. Just what I needed to know!

Happy- we love the Autrey Museum, too! We just saw (our favs!) The Rideres in the Sky at the Hollywood Bowl for the Fourth of July. It was very amazing.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

Were you just wanting information ABOUT Sand DOllar Beach or were you asking if there are sand dollars in abundance?

I don't have any idea about that beach,, but you can pick up a hundered in about an hour if you head a bit further south to Pismo Beach... the part where you can drive out on the sand, park and walk across the "sand highway" to the surf during low tide. My three boys picked up at least a hundred a few Sunday mornings ago.

Welcome to the Central Coast!
Jul 26th, 2007, 07:11 AM
GP

Hi Sparkelgem

I just made this trip yesterday and timed the drive up and back. From the Hearst Castle turn off to Sand Dollar Beach was 40 min. No stops and a local who knows the road was driving.

Have Fun
GP
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, both, so much for the helpful information. It really helps to know that it is that far north. We need to save it for another trip.