Hawthorn Suites Alexandria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked a few nights at this hotel for a really good rate. Just wondering if anyone here has any feedback on it. My only concern is needing a hotel shuttle to get back / forth to the Metro. How late does the shuttle run? Especially if we are going to be returning from a Nationals game late at night.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That hotel was originally an apartment building circa 1960s so I'd guess the suites are ample in size. The area is mostly high rise and commercial and it's pretty close to I95 so the ambiance will be low on charm. Will you have a car?

Don't know about the hotel shuttle service. The closest metro station is Van Dorn which normally has taxi's waiting for business. Don't know if that's true late at night.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

We will not have a car. Will be taking Amtrak round-trip from CT.

The hotel just replied to me that the shuttle only runs to 10pm so after a game, we will have to cab it from the Metro Station. Or even just cab it from the game. Other than that, I think we can make the 10 pm work.

Found the hotel on quikbook for a really good rate but then saw on their website that they guarantee the best rates or 1st night free and match the rate. Submitted it and will see what happens. My backup hotel is the Days Inn CT Ave. Have stayed here in the past but was looking for something different. Am concerned about needing a shuttle to go back / forth.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:50 AM

Sorry, not great news on the hotel shuttle. That kind of a transportation issue is going to be a factor overall in a stay at that location in Alexandria. Your dining options there will be pretty generic mid and low range chains, esp. without a car.

How about the Crystal City area? Don't know when you're traveling but you can often score good rates there on the weekends unless it's a peak tourist period. CC is also a little low on the charm scale but has much better public transport and dining options immediately close and nearby on the Metro.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Its in August and Monday - Friday. I really do not like the thought of needing a shuttle. The dining options don't worry me as much as we would eat in the city before heading back, but its probably too much of an inconvenience to need the shuttle.

I don't mind the Days Inn CT Ave but will look at Crystal city. But thats even further out than the Days Inn.

1 thing my friend and I already had agreed to is no cabs (last time he had a broken leg so we cabbed it too much)so I'm leaning towards the Days Inn. Still plenty of time to keep an eye out for better rates elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM

>>I don't mind the Days Inn CT Ave but will look at Crystal city. But thats even further out than the Days Inn.>Still plenty of time to keep an eye out for better rates elsewhere.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

I realized I was thinking of Silver Springs, MD...My fault for typing while on a conference call at work.

Thanks again for your help
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM

The pitfalls of multitasking...

Best of luck in your planning. Like you say, you've got plenty of time. I remember the posts from your last trip and your friend with the broken leg. I seem to recall you all had a great trip in spite of his leg.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

We definitely had a great time in spite of his leg. Also, told him I was going to lock him in a room with padded walls. Trick is now to avoid repeating stuff that he was not quite able to enjoy, ie the zoo, etc. We may go to the zoo for a little while so he can see what he missed but I do not want an outright repeat agenda.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Try the Woodley Park Guest House. It is just across the street from the Metro station by the zoo. I have stayed there twice and had good experiences both times. You can run into the zoo any morning for a quick look before the crowds arrive. That is when we went. It was like having the park to ourselves. Then hop on the Metro to wherever you want to go. There are many restaurants close by for that after the game snack.