Notices

cheap hotels in DC

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap hotels in DC

We are travelling to DC in mid-June for a week (4 adults & 2 teens) & have booked a reservation at the Best Western Old Colony in Alexandria because of their great rate & free parking, but we're concerned that it's a mile from the Metro (although there's a hotel shuttle) and I was told at this forum that the Braddock St. stop is in an unsafe neighborhood. There's a Day's Inn far up on Connecticut Ave NW - near Univ. of DC that's just as cheap - and the Metro is a block away. Does anyone out there know if this would be a better choice than Alexandria? Is it safe in that area? Any more convenient than suburban VA?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I drove by the Days Inn on Connecticut Ave this morning. I'm not a big fan of driving in the District --- fellow drivers are not friendly and there is VERY limited parking. On Conn Ave you're really in the thick of things -- you can hop a metro and be anywhere (within Metro's hours of operation) I would really not plan on driving to the Smithsonian or any of the sites --- take a Metro and save yourself the aggravation. If you're planning on just visiting the sites in the city, stay on Conn Ave (but do remember you are in an urban location). If you're planning on touring Old Town (which is a charming) and hitting Mount Vernon, stay in VA. I understand price is an issue, but the best place to stay (in my opinion) is in Friendship Heights (there's an Embassy Suites with a metro stop below ground) or Residence Inn in Bethesda (across the street from a Metro stop). Enjoy your visit!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I think the Days Inn is more convenient because you are already in the city and right near a Metro. The Colony Inn is in a lovely neighborhood--although there is almost nothing near it--and waiting for the shuttle seems like a hassle. The Braddock Rd. station is perfectly safe.

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MikeT for your input - very helpful. To mayhem: I'm not sure you understood my ? - we have no intention of driving in DC, hence my desire to stay at a hotel nearer the Metro, and my query as to whether Alexandria is too far out of the way, since the purpose of the trip is to see DC. But thanks anyway.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM

I haven't stayed at either of these locations, so I can't advise you on them. I would be wary of relying on a hotel shuttle to get you to and from the metro. I had been considering a hotel in Fairfax that was a mile from the metro with a hotel shuttle for similar reasons as you - inexpensive, safe area and free parking, until I contacted the hotel and was told the shuttle really only ran at rush hour. They pretty much out and out told me not to rely on their shuttle. You might consider Rosslyn (neighborhood in Arlington, VA) you have a Best Western, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn and Marriott which tend to be fairly inexpensive, provide free parking and be a block or two away from the metro station (Quality Inn is a bit further away). It's a safe area and within walking distance of Georgetown. I have no idea how the rates compare to the hotels you listed.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:23 PM

My mistake.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:12 AM

I've stayed at that Days Inn and of things you've written of so far, it really is your best choice. Decent neighborhood & close to Metro.

As pointed out, you do have to double check just how available the shuttles are when hotels advertise them. One of my first trips to DC I stayed at an Econolodge on Glebe Rd that had a horrible schedule.

The Rosslyn area is pretty good, altho very little choices for nightlife. I've stayed many times at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima, and once next door at what is now "The Inn at Rosslyn", but was "Motel 50" for years. It is old and a little tattered looking, but I found the rooms clean, large, comfortable, quiet & safe. I am the type to leave the hotel in the morning and not return until I'm thru for the day, but the hike (slight downhill) from Rosslyn Metro to QI or [email protected] were both a little long at end of day. One of the closer properties much better.

Click my name and find were I've discussed Comfort Inns in Springfield and Alexandria/VanDorn.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:56 AM

I would recommend Roslyn for two reasons: many places to stay with a variety of amenities and prices and a Metro stop right there; an easy walk across Key bridge to Georgetown where the nightlife and shopping opportunities are many.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM

amidoe,

There are better options in safe, convenient, DC neighborhoods.

Three questions:

What's your hotel budget/limit?

Exactly how many rooms/beds do you need?

When are you coming (this makes a HUGE difference)?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I LIVE near the Days Inn. It's a great neighborhood. The Metro is less than a block. There are all kinds of restaurants -- three Chinese, two Italian, an Indian, a couple of American, a Burger King, a Taco Bell. There's a CVS and a Giant (closed now for renovations but it is to reopen in March). There's a Gold's gym. And when you're tired of downtown, you could walk through the University of the District of Colombia to see the vast construction for the new embassy of China. And on International Drive right by the construction are many embassies with quite intriguing architecture. This is a safe neighborhood for coming home at night, we all do it. Hope you'll come to the Van Ness neighborhood!