Hawaiian Luau (Maui or Oahu)

May 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Hawaiian Luau (Maui or Oahu)

My husband and I will be going to Hawaii in August and would love to go to a luau. We will be staying at the Wailea Beach Marriott on Maui and at the KoOlina on Oahu.

1) Do either of these hotels have a laua?
2) If not, what other luaus would be close? We would both like to be able to have few drinks and not have to worry about driving too far...

Thanks in advance for your help!

May 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM

On Maui, I would recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. It is a wonderful luau.
On Oahu, I would recommend the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
May 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM

If you are staying at the Ko Olina, Paradise Cove Luau is right there. you can drive 3-5 minutes to get there, and if you are very concerned, I guess you could walk from your hotel? I think it depends on how well you walk.

I was just talking to one of my concierge staff and we both said we had been to Paradise Cove about eight times each. That's where we take out-of-town guests who want to go to a luau.
May 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM

egret - completely agree with your advice. The Old Lahania Luau is WONDERFUL - many of our friends have also gone and enjoyed it... we did not enjoy the one at the Polynesian center as much on Oahu.
May 6th, 2007, 11:53 PM

Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. But, no alcohol & it is an hour away from Ko 'Olina.

Paradise Cove is good & as Melissa said, only a few minutes from Ko 'Olina.

There are a some luaus in South Maui.

Wailea Marriott Luau, Maui Prince Luau & Renaissance Luau

EFFECTIVE 8/15/2007: The Renaissance will be closing for remodeling and the luau will no longer be available

In West Maui, Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

Old Lahaina Luau does not have a fire knife dancer.
May 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dusty- Do all of these hotels (Wailea Marriott Luau, Maui Prince Luau & Renaissance Luau) share the same luau?

May 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Other than they are in South Maui, I don't know anything about those three.

And on an activity website I noticed the August closing date for one of them. So thought I would mention that because you are planning for August.
May 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM

I've been to Hawaii many times (all islands) and several luau's - by far the best one is the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. Make reservations well in advance, especially in the summer! Unfortunately it's quite a drive to Wailea Beach from Lahaina (30-45 min's), but well worth the drive and you can always walk around in Lahaina afterwards, lots of shops, etc.