Search

Hawaii Honeymoon Traveler

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Honeymoon Traveler

Hello there fellow Hawaiian travelers,

In just a few short weeks (Nov. 21-Dec. 1) I will be traveling to Kauai for 4 days and Maui for 6 days for my honeymoon. Both my finace and I are 23-26 y.o. and are very active and are very interested in getting out and seeing a lot of the sites on both islands. After reading several books, I have put together an itinerary for Kauai and I am working on one for Maui. Would you please critique my Kauai itinerary and give me some tips for both islands.
Your help will be much appreciated and I'll be sure to post a trip report upon arrival!

Nov. 21 (Poipu)
Arrive 5:06pm in Lihue, Kauai

Stop at Walmart
Sightseeing on way to Grand Hyatt Regency
Check out Hotel
Go on a drive

Dinner at: Tidepools Restaurant (Hyatt)

Nov. 22 (Kokee Park/Waimea Canyon)
Morning: Helicopter Tour 11:00

Afternoon: Lunch TBD
Drive to Kokee State Park (through Waimea Canyon to lookouts)
Hike Awaawapuhi Trail (6.2 miles roundtrip, 3 hrs)
Spouting Horn
Dinner at: TBD

Nov. 23 (Poipu)
Morning: Massage 10:00am
Afternoon: Brunch
Allerton/McBride Gardens or National Botanical National Gardens Swim/snorkel at Lydgate ,Poipu, Tunnells, Makena beaches (one of these)

Dinner: Beach House Restaurant

Nov. 24 (Na Pali Coast)
Morning: Drive to Napali Coast State Park till road ends, hike first 2 miles of Kalalua Trail (park at Ke e Beach) (2 miles, 3 hr)

Afternoon:Check out Hanalei
-tour (2hr) of Hanalei FWS reserve
-tour Kilauea Light House

Dinner: Drums of Paradise Luau 6:00pm (Happy Thanksgiving)

Extra To Do’s:
Poihale state park
Wailua falls

Nov. 25
Morning: Drive to Lihue Airport
Brunch

Afternoon: Depart Kauai 10:30am
Arrive Maui 12:10pm

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage--how nice you can visit Hawaii for your honeymoon.

I notice you are hiking the Awa'awapuhi Trail. We did the whole loop and while the lookout at the bottom of the Awa'awapuhi is wonderful, I was blown away by the view from the end of the Nu'alolo---Lolo Vista. It was our favorite all time hike. We watched the weather and did the hike on a perfectly clear day--the 2 or 3 uphill miles at the end of the hike are pretty miserable so you want to be sure to go on a nice day. The whole loop took us about 6 hours though--we didn't hurry, stopped for lunch.

Go on the Kalalau as early as you can--easier to find parking and less people. The hike has great views and is a much easier hike--but after hiking the Loop trail all alone, we found this trail really busy. It's nice spending some beach time at Ke'e Beach after the hike--we had picked up sandwiches on our way north, so we could picnic at the beach.

There is a wonderful beach area right down the road from the Hyatt---drive out Poipu Rd. and continue as it becomes a dirt road. The first beach is Gillin's Beach--a long stretch of beach. It was windy when we were there so we continued on down the narrow dirt road to Kawailoa Bay. There was a lovely small cove beach there protected from the wind. It also had some great cliffs along the shore where we enjoyed walking--it was windy, the waves crashed , sea caves--great views. You can also walk from this beach back down to Gillin's.

We went to Polihale Beach(2002)terrible potholes on the road--maybe it has been repaired but it was not worth the drive. It is a long sandy beach but hard to walk along the water---we must have been there at high tide--feet just sunk in the sand.

I am also one of the few people in the world that thinks Poipu Beach is overrated--we liked just about every other beach on Kauai better than Poipu.

If you like to walk in the morning, there are nice cliffs right by the Hyatt and there is a nice walk down the other direction to Makahuena Point--there was good whale watching in the morning in this area so take some binoculars(my mini binoculars were fine)--the whales are just starting to arrive--maybe you will get lucky and see some. It is a spectacular sight to see them breach and tail slap. There were a lot of dolphin around the point too.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Kal

RR,
Congrats and here's my post from the other Kauai post.
====================================
RRanger,
Pretty aggressive stuff....I bet you may throw your plans out the window once you get there. It's been known to happen.

Be sure the lighthouse in open in T'giving Day. Or else you'll be looking at it from the dead end.
It has such odd hours anyway. But worth the wait. Great rangers there. VERY helpful and into their jobs.

As for an interesting ride, take the "shortcut" that connects Hwy 50 to the Nawiliwili area, Kipu Rd I believe.

I still don't know why people would even go to Kauai when you have Oahu and all of it's non-touristy places.

Mucho mahalos
=======================================
And if you do go to hike NaPali, go early to get a good parking place. It may not be too crowded on T'giving Day??

There is a nice place to "Wake Up" in Hanalei if you get there early.....
(OOPS....Sorry...inside joke of the K9s.) 8-)

Hope everything you need is open for you guys on T'Giving.
Be careful with No Shore snorkeling in Nov-May months.

LindaO,
"Potholes" on the road to Polihale???
Those aren't all potholes...some are are CAR EATERS!

We were following a 4WD local out one year right after a BIG rain.

We were keeping up with him pretty good for having a Neon....(Bro in Law driver is a "professional")....we were going to forego the "regular stop" at Polihale (right by the bathrooms) and follow the 4WD all the way up to the next "stop" until we saw him go thru one seemingly small mud puddle.....sank all the way up to the truck bed....which would have been maybe mid door panel for us!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Just a couple of suggestions so far:
The afternoon you arrive, sunset is at 5:53 and twilight in Hawaii is only about 15 minutes long. It will be too dark to do any sightseeing, just hang out at your hotel and walk on the beach in the dark.

On Nov. 23, you may spend too much time travelling up to the north shore, since you are going there the next day anyway.

On Nov. 24, go early to Kee beach at the Kalalau trailhead. It will take you about an hour from Poipu, and the lot fills up. Snorkeling at Kee is excellent, you can go after your hot sweaty hike. Heading back towards Hanalei are other excellent snorkeling areas, Tunnels and Haena.

Do you have a copy of the guidebook Kauai Revealed? It's the best.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Here are some nice sites for info on Kauai and Maui:

All islands:

www.gohawaii.com

www.spotlighthawaii.com

www.thisweek.com

www.101thingstodo.com

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good driving tour narrative guide, no maps though.

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps including some detailed maps.

www.hawaiiweb.com

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Kauai:

www.kauaidiscovery.com

www.kauai-hawaii.com

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:31 PM

RR,

I'd say it looks like you have too many things planned for each day. You have about 6 or 7 days worth of stuff planned. You will be spending way to much time in the car.

We are active and athletic types and we spent a week at the Hyatt and hardly ever left! Be prepared to discard your plan, especially on the day you get your massages at Anara. Just amble down to the lagoon and hang out for the rest of the day. There is a great shady area with hammocks with a view of the beach that would be a great place laze the afternoon away.

One day take a drive up to the north shore. Do the Kalalau that day if you want. Stop for eats in Hanalei on the way up or on the way back. Hit the Lighthouse on the way up.

One day plan a trip up to Waimea Canyon. The earlier the better as it can get really clouded in.

The Allerton tour is great!

I would not plan on doing any swimming or snorkeling on the north shore. Don't go in the water if the surf is up. Please be careful.

Have a great trip...and bring plenty of bug spray for Kaua'i.

-Bill

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM

RiverRanger:

When you arrive here on Kaua`i (we live on the north shore), expect 30-45 minutes to get your luggage, shuttle to the car rental, and get on the road. A non-stop drive from the airport to the Hyatt is going to take you about 45 minutes...just in time to get your room, unpack, dust off, and head for dinner.

BTW -- I'm not sure why you're planning to stop at WalMart as soon as you arrive, unless there's something you think you'll need immediately??

HeliTour -- from Lihu`e Airport, or Pt. Allen? If from Pt. Allen, you can easily do the Koke`e visit. But if your helitour is departing from Lihu`e Airport you might want to poke around central Kaua`i that day rather than spending the whole day driving back and forth. Just my 2 cents.

Have a wonderful visit on our Garden Island! 8-)
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:25 AM
iceeu2

Author: iceeu2
Date: 10/26/2005, 01:13 pm
RR, don't have too many of the plans set in stone. Save a few things for an anniversary...ie....hiking the Kalalau Trail. If it is raining, do not hike it. We went ahead in the rain and my short fat legs had a difficult climb. If you do hike the trail, take an extra set of clothing with you (I'm guessing you are staying south) because you will have red dirt permanently on your shorts after that first slip.

Also, be sure to check out the lighthouse schedule. I think I have determined that is my favorite spot on the island.

Happy upcoming nups.

Aloha i'2

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your help! This site has been so helpful in planning our honeymoon.

As some of you suggested, the schedule appears pretty intense and yes it is not set in stone. It just seems like there are so many great things to do and see...If only we had more time.

Comments
Yes, your right Walmart bad idea.
Yes, just bought Kauai Revealed after reading Hawaii for Dummies and Fodors Hawaii 2005, both very helpful

Would any of you recommend giving up the helicopter tour (in Lihue) and spending the whole day in Kokee and doing the Awa'awapuhi and Nu'alolo-Lola Vista Trails?

Thanks again to all of you!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:46 AM

RR,

Yes, there are sooo many things to do. You will be back, so save some of it for a fututre trip. Don't foget to do this while you're in the islands:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bquarr...e6.jpg&.src=ph

It's what I like to do most!

-Bill
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:13 AM

icee2:
Remembering our fun wine 'n dine event by the condo pool, and your hysterically funny hiking story, just gave me my first smile of this morning!

iamq:
That's it -- you are officially the Fodor's Sleeping Beauty!!! 8-)
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Kal

INANE BANTER ALERT....INANE BANTER ALERT

must...........take.............medsssssssssss

Ahhhhhhhhh...much better

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM

This is all good advice. The only suggestion I have is that rather than taking the road to Mahaulepu (The beach that Linda was suggesting) that you hike there instead. It is a beautiful 40min walk along the shore and not difficult at all. Go out of the Hyatt to the beach, turn left toward the cliff and head east up the cliff and passed the golf course. Wear sneakers but bring your bathing suit and water. There are no services at Mahaulepu. On the way back you can take the road.

Be careful who you choose for the helicoptor tour and don't go out on the rocks by the water when the surf is up.

Alan