Kauai Itinerary - 1st Time - please comment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha All. Please review following itinerary and offer your comments and see if you spy any gaping holes or problems, should we move things around a bit, etc.
We have never been to Kauai so I have packed a lot into our stay. We are arriving on 21 APR from St Louis, getting in around 8:30PM and staying at the Islander on the Beach. I realize we will need to be flexible with the exeption of the paid activities to allow for weather. Already purchased ultimate Kauai.
Day 1 Arrive – Checkin and walk the beach, grab a toddy or two.
Day 2 Napali Catamaran tour assuming they are running in April– Snorkel/explore Tunnels, Hideaways, Anini
Day 3 Princeville Ranch Zip Line am. Continue to explore the N. shore PM Dinner at Beach House.
Day 4 Kalalau Trail (2mi only) Lunch in Hanalei/Princeville Area More Snorkelling/exploration of the north shore
Day 5 Kipu ATV am – explore the east side Suggestions?
Day 6 Nualolo/cliffs/Awapuhi loop trail How much time should we allow for this (assuming stops for sightseeing)? Also plan on starting in the morning before fog?
Day 7 Poipu/Gillins/Lydgate for snorkeling
Day 8 Waimea Canyon Lookouts/hikes Akamai Swamp?
Day 9 Open for snorkeling/Misc exploration
Day 10 We depart at 10pm so – Wailua falls, souvenirs, etc.

Questions
1. Would like to get a jeep but I am stressing about the luggage on the last day. What to do with it?
2. Also, any suggestions on how we could shower the last day, since we will probably checkout and not have the room as an option? We may need that day for snorkel/hiking/etc.
3. Kipu Ranch ATV – The ranch only or the waterfalls/lunch version?
4. Would like to pickup a picnic lunch many of the days. Suggestions?
5. Any recommended coffee shops?
6. Where is Snorkel Bob’s?
7. Can I rely on the local weather forecast to be relatively accurate so I can move activities around as necessary?
8. It would be cool if we could find a secluded waterfall…….ideas?
9. Would also love to hit farmers market/local craft fairs if they fit
10. Would like to plan an additional nice dinner for day 9, any suggestions?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Snorkel Bob's has 2 Kauai locations, one in Kapaa and one in Koloa, on the road to Poipu. http://www.snorkelbob.com/cgi-local/...cd4+1142187829

Beach House is a poor dining choice for day 3, simply because it is on the south coast and you are spending the day up north. If it were me, I'd dine in Kapa'a at Kintaro or Caffe Coco on day 3, and plan on Beach house for day 9.

For your last day, I can tell you that most of the beach parks have showers so you could use them. (My wife was not thrilled at this prospect) Our plan for the last day (last Tuesday, in fact)was to spend the afternoon at Kalapaki beach, by the Marriott in Lihue and only 2 miles from the airport. As it turned out, it rained all day so we went to the Kauai museum instead and had lunch at the Barbeque Inn on Kress. It was a great "plan B" and a great day, except that we were sad to be leaving.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I'm returning to Kauai with my family this August and also have a late flight. My husdand and I plan to spend the last day golfing at Poipu and using the shower facilities at the course. The rest of my family members are going to the Hyatt in Poipu and having lunch and getting massages. If you schedule a message you have full use of the spa facilities for the remainder of the day, including showers. These are both somewhat costly options. We have used the shower facilities in several of the state parks on the island as well - I'm a camper and I consider using these showers "roughing it", but you are clean enough for the flight.
We enjoyed Roy's in Poipu and the Beach House has great Mojito's and Bananas Foster. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:00 AM

Hi biker

I think your itinerary is really great because you aren't trying to pack too many things into any one day IMO.

Do a search on the Hawaii forums here for the Nualolo/Cliffs/etc trail. I have done a lot of reading here from other fodors posters who have done it and have great info (can't recall who right now tho). From what I recall this loop will take ALL day. I believe it's a total of around 8 miles or more so definitely start early. I have been wanting to do this trail forever but have trouble convincing my husband that it will be worth it.

I am heading to Oahu and Kauai tomorrow so look for my trip report soon! Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:38 AM

We didn't do any organized tours when we were in Kauai but we did do some hiking.

The weather channel is very good and gives the weather for the north and south shore.

Be sure to hike the Nu'alolo/Cliffs/Awa'awapuhi on a clear day--at the end of the Nu'alolo trail, walk out all the way to Lolo Vista--it is beyond the intersection of the Nu'alolo and Cliffs trail. It is my absolutely favorite view in Hawaii.

We did the Waimea Canyon lookouts on the way up to hike the Nu'alolo/Awa'awapuhi. After driving up and making our stops, we started hiking at about 11:00a.m. and finished the hike at about 5:00 p.m. The last couple miles of the hike are all uphill and I found to be pretty miserable. I would do this hike again--the pain was worth it. It is our favorite all time hike.

If you drive out to Gillins Beach--when we got there it was too windy to enjoy--continue down the dirt road to Kawailoa Bay. We really enjoyed this protected little cove beach with some great sandstone cliffs to walk on--only about 6 other people around every time we went there. Walking the other direction takes you back to the long stretch of beach at Gillins. We loved it here. I think I am the only person who has been to Kauai and can't see the draw of Poipu Beach. Poipu was my least favorite beach on the island.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:03 AM

You've organized your trip into having all of the north shore at the beginning and the south/west side at the end. I suggest you break it up because if you decide you like the south more than the north or vice versa then you can adjust your schedule.

You probably don't need to dedicate a whole day to Poipu and Gillins (aka Mahulepu) beach unless you really want to hang out at the beach most of the day. Since you've got 2 days traveling out to Waimea canyon you can spend time at Poipu, Kalaheo and Hanapepe on the way there or the way back instead.

I suggest that you also stop off at Spouting horn for a few minutes. It is interesting, but could be missed if pressed for time.

Are you bicycle rider ? If so and you want to do a ride on Kauai I can suggest one from Poipu to Hanapepe and back.

Alan
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

hikerboy, nice catch. thanks
cajun - look forward to your tr
Lindain- i noticed that hike on my usgs topo map - it looks like fun. how much time did it add to your hike?
alanwar - great point on breaking up the itinerary. we are bike riders but i don' think we will do that this time.

the park showers idea is good, i don't think my wife will mind that option.

now i just need to figure out how to stash the luggage so it doesnt get messed with in a jeep.
biker
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the posts so far, any additional comments on all or part very welcome