Notices

Hawaii for 10 days - need help

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii for 10 days - need help

Hi everybody. My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in Aug. for our 25th anniversary (I can't believe it)!
We really want to go see the Pearl Harbor memorial, so we planned two nights in Ohahu. We then originally intended to do Maui for the other 8 nights.
The more people we talk to, the more confused we become !
We heard that Four Seasons on BI is amazing and we have to go !!! We also heard that Kauai is the BEST and we should go there and forget Maui.
We don't want to spend our entire trip in the airports. We want to seesome sights, enjoy the beauty of Hawaii, chill out with Mai Tias on the beach and just have a great time.
HELP !!! Thanks and have a wonderful holiday.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Rossi10000, We went in March and had a great time. We spent 2 nights on Oahu also and wish we had spent more time there. We did stay on the North Shore at Turtle Bay though and loved it. We started out planning on Maui but then decided on the Big Island instead and we were glad we did, if we can say that without ever seeing Maui. Anyway the Big Island is fabulous. We stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince, then moved over to Hilo's Daulphin Bay, then Volcanon House and lastly a Condo in Kalua-Kona. We had so much fun and saw so many fabulous things. We've never seen the Four Seasons but heard it was great. We really liked the Hapuna Beach Prince but the best beach we found was at Mauna Kea....fabulous snorkeling. We wish we'd done the star gazing and we were really sorry we didn't rent a 4x4. Just thought I'd pass that on. Good luck and have fun.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Ask 1000 people for a list of what's best in Hawaii and you'll get close to 1000 different lists.

The point is, don't overanalyze your plans. The Four Seasons on the BI is amazing. So is the Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea, Orchid, Kona Village and a dozen others on the BI.

And so is the Four Seasons on Maui. So is the Fairmont Kea Lani, the Hotel Hana-Maui and a dozen others on Maui.

At least for the list of activities you gave, you'll be thrilled with any one of the above. As to what's "best", well, your confusion will increase relative to the number of opinions you get. Personally, my first choices for an anniversary trip would be the Four Seasons on Maui, or either the Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea Resort on the BI.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM

The great thing about Hawaii is that you can't make a mistake in choosing islands. They're all great. Kuaui and the BI are my favorites--Kuaui for sheer beauty and the Big Island for one fascinating thing after another. If you're looking for lively nightlife, you want Oahu or Maui. And you'll find plenty of beauty and fascination there too (though you'll have to leave the beaten track on Oahu to find the beauty). Just don't make the mistake of trying to do too much. Two islands should be your max for a 10-day trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Depends on what kind of vacation you want. Aug. will be busy with families. I agree with your choices of 4S BI and Kauai. One thing to remember is that most hotels offer a 5th night free package, and that could translate into significant savings over a 4nt/4nt stay. We made a mistake before (the TA never told us) and we could have saved and enjoyed the beauty of the Hyatt Kauai for a day longer free had we known. For romance I would pick BI & Kauai. For activities I would choose Oahu or Maui. IMO Maui will be just too crowded in August bt you may not mind it. Have a great time.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Just couldn't resist!!! BI my favorite.

Your plan looks good. There is a lot to see/do on Oahu..but two days should be fine[that's what I do too].

Get to the Arizona Memorial early...so you can use the rest of the day on activies instead of "waiting".

5-7 days on the BI will allow you to see most everything, but still not rush you.

tbelgian's visit was rather unique....Turtle Bay...Hapuna..and the Dolphin Bay [Hilo] etc.....a real slice of life [3-4 star to budget] Way to go
tbelgian! Sounds like you did the BI right!!

enjoy
Hawaii...it's all good!
circa