COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Loved Maui -- Now BI?

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Loved Maui -- Now BI?

My husband and I went to Maui last March and stayed at the Ritz Kapalua. We absolutely loved Maui and the Ritz. We're considering trying the Big Island in April but we're not sure we'll like it as much??? I know it's impossible to say but any thoughts would be so helpful. Maui was such a great trip--I still feel relaxed just thinking about it! I just can't decide whether to branch out now.

If we go to BI, we'd also appreciate suggestions on where to stay that will have a similar feel to the Ritz. We can't afford Four Seasons but could do the Prince, the Orchid or Mauna Lani.

What we liked about the Ritz:

-not crowded ( we went to Kaanapali and were so glad we were in a more isolated and peaceful spot and not in that long line of hotels)
-great food on site or close by (Banyan Tree; breakfast buffet; Vino)--my husband hates to leave the hotel at night so good food on the property is very important
-great pool
-nice beach
-beautiful grounds
-watching whales from the balcony (turtles at Orchid could be a good substitute though...)
-great service and friendly staff
-good activities (putting green, lots to see on the property)

We like to be on the beach and at the pool every day, leave to do little excursions during the day and return to peacefulness at night. Is BI right for us? I'd like to see VNP...of course, I was also thinking about Kauai but probably shouldn't confuse myself even more! LOL that choosing which paradise to go to could be so difficult...
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM

The Orchid originally opened as a Ritz Carlton.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I think either Kauai or Oahu are more similar to Maui than the Big Island.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM

I would pick big Island over Kauai.

Lots of info. Just ignore the Oahu things. There are about 10 websites good for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:10 AM

The BI is our favorite. Much more diversity in terms of geography, fauna, weather, etc. It's also less crowded IMO. It's very different from the other islands, which we thought was a nice contrast. BI allows for day trips where you can go from beach to mountains, volcanic "deserts" to rain forests, warm to cold, and then there's VNP which is unique.

On our last trip we spent a week in Maui and a week on the BI. Loved them both, but we really liked the differences between the 2.

We stayed at the FS on Maui and the Mauna Lani on the BI - exceptional hotel. Large rooms, great setting and beach, very attentive staff, and very good restaurants. Would highly recommend it.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM

I am a Maui lover myself and have to say that I was disappointed with BI when I visited. The scenery is very different than Maui, especially on the Kona side.

I would agree with Suze on Oahu or Kauai. A stay at Turtle Bay on Oahu is a great non-crowded spot. I've never been to Kauai, but it's on my list.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Depending on what you like to do and see, each island has it's own personality.

Kauai is my favorite as we like the laid back non commerical feel that Kauai offers. There is a variety of things to do and see.

I have been to the other islands and have enjoyed what they have to offer but we go back to Kauai most often.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

You all have me seriously reconsidering Kauai now! My husband likes the idea of the more noncommercial aspect--we found parts of Maui too crowded for us (Kaanapali, Lahaina). It looks like we could stay at Grand Hyatt or the Princeville. Not sure which would be more to our liking... And it looks like Princeville is undergoing renovations? I'm looking for information about the extent and timing of that but haven't found much yet. We would be going in April--anything to know about that time of year? We only have 8 days so I'm wondering if BI is not "doable" in that time and we should save that for next year. Decisions, decisions!!