Big Island or Maui - Need to decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been planning our trip to Hawaii for the past six months and actually have air and hotel reservations in place. Current plan is to fly from east coast to Honolulu, stay at the Outrigger for five nights (planning to rent a car for a couple of days to explore North Shore) and then flying Hawaiian Air to Kona, renting a car and driving to VNP and staying two nights in B&B and then on to Hapuna for five nights. Family consists of me, DH and DS (13). The problem is I've had too much time to think about the trip (HA), and now I'm considering whether we should skip BI and change to Maui. DH and I have been to Maui, which is sort of why we decided on BI, but DS was not with us on that trip. Interests are beach, hiking, good food, beautiful scenery, relaxation. DS would probably enjoy "excitement" of Maui, but he really wants to see VNP also. Found a great rate for Sheraton Maui on internet and economically, changing islands is proably a wash. Seeking advice from those that have been to both Maui and BI. How remote is Hapuna? Is the drive really a killer when you want to go someplace for dinner, or for scuba/snorkling boat trip? Thanks for any info that you can pass along.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Hi Sherrie! I saw your response to my thread on the Caribbean board -- thanks! I'm glad you're still having a good time planning, too

We have been to Oahu, Maui, and BI. The BI is spectacular, but yes, Hapuna is remote. But, it's not so bad if you don't mind driving. It's about 40 minutes to Kona where there are lots of restuarants and shopping. That being said, we went 2 years in a row, and didn't mind it at all. It is so quiet and beautiful, and the beach is just amazing. Swimming and snorkeling onsite are very good. It's a very special place.

Maui is a lot of fun, too, but in a different way. The BI is just so diverse and unique, but Maui is more of what you think of in a "typical" tropical island. This summer, we are returning to Maui and Oahu, but next summer, our plan is to return to BI and to try Kauai for the first time.

I think if you are definitely going to Oahu, the BI is a better compliment. VNP is great. Maui and Oahu are more similar, I suppose. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Hey Beachgirl86. Thanks for replying, it really does help. I think after talking with my husband and reading a few more reviews for the Hapuna vs. the Sheraton (Maui), we're staying with the BI / Hapuna. Reading your previous posts really put us in the mood for both Oahu and BI. My son loves the outdoors and I know he will love VNP. My problem is too much time to analyze every entire detail and striving for perfection. DH says anything in Hawaii will be perfect and I need to stop stressing! So, I'm gonna try!
Did you decide on your Maui accommodations? As I recall, you were looking at GW, Kea Lani and 4Seasons? Good luck with your planning, both for Hawaii and Caribbean.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM

I can identify, Sherrie. I can get kind of obsessive with planning myself. You've made the right decision. You'll have a great time. At Hapuna you'll be closer to some things as well - Pololu Lookout, Hawi, several sites including two heiau along the northwest coast, Waimea, Mauna Kea - than you would be in Kona. There are really quite a few good restaurants if you look at Waimea, Waikoloa, and Cafe Pesto (just a little north of Hapuna). You'll be on the lovely Hapuna Beach and right next to the lovely Mauna Kea Beach. And that's coming from someone who LOVES Maui!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Sherrie: I do the same thing that you do! I always second guess my trips to Hawaii, amount of time on each island/hotels, etc...

Our plan right now is 5 nights at Sheraton Maui (great rate on Hotwire) and then 3 nights at Grand Wailea. And then we'll finish the trip up on Oahu with 5 nights at Outrigger Waikiki.

And Crazy4Hawaii is right about the other things you'll be close to on the BI while staying at Hapuna. You will have an amazing trip...can't wait for your trip report
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Crazy4Hawaii and Beachgirl. I really appreciate your words of wisdom and encouragement. The great rate for the Sheraton on Hotwire ($187 currently) got me thinking we could afford Maui this time around. I just need to stay the course with our current plans (and stop visiting Hotwire!). We are really looking forward to our time at VNP (2 nights) and I can't wait to see the beauty of Hapuna Beach. I know Beachgirl is correct in saying that the BI is a better contrast to Oahu. Can't wait to see both. Thanks again.