Search

Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

Husband and I are thinking of spending our 30th wedding anniversary in Hawaii!! Well there or Maui or any of the islands. We have never been soooo we are not sure where we need to go. Would love to hear any suggestions you may have. We are use to staying in all inclusives in Jamaica, Mexico, Dominican Republic. I don't think they are as abundant in Hawaii but we would like to find a resort that would be comparable in quality.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM

My wife and I went for our 30th in 2008. It was our first time. We spent 4 days in Maui at the Marriott in Wailea and 4 days in Honolulu at the Embassy Suites. Looking back we would have spent more time in Maui and visited Honolulu for 2 days first. We only really wanted to go to Pearl Harbor and a few other sites on Oahu.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM

The only all-inclusive in Hawaii is the Kona Village Resort on the island of Hawaii ( The Big Island). It is a very atmospheric place. Not cheap. www.konavillage.com

Most all other resorts in Hawaii are not All-Inclusive. There are still top-notch quality places, they are just not AI.

Each island has really great resort hotels. Perhaps you could tell us what your interests are, and what sort of budget you are planning to spend. In most places, you will want to rent a car.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Oh- and what time of year? For example, the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua, Maui is a lovely hotel, but I wouldn't advise it for winter months because it is windy and rainier in that area in winter. Great in summer, though.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM

There is one all inclusive resort in the Islands and it is in that elite group of top resorts. It's Kona Village on the Big Island. I am not sure when you are going but my wife and I love it, especially during the off seasons, Apr. May, Sept Oct Novemeber.

The concept of the resort is a Hawaiian Village. There are 125 Hale spread through out the resort. Some of the hale are in garden, some on the beach, some around the pond and some on the lava. There are two pools, tennis courts, and excercise room. The gardens are some of the best on any island resort.

This is a place of relaxation. The best available unit promotion will set you back $555.00 per night. With that you get three spectacular meals and free access to snorkel equipment, kayak, boogie boards, and small sail boats. The price does not include alcohol or tips.

KVR is a very special place but not for everybody, so do your home work. It does not have air conditioning (at least not yet). It has no tv or radio. Use of cell phones or electronics is not permitted outside of your hale. Also, if you want a flashy room with silk sheets and marble floors, this is not your place.

The beach is salt and pepper. It is very functional but far from the quality of the Muana Kea. However, the bay is super for swimming and snorkeling. It is pristine and semi-protected. Snorkeling is excellent off the little black sand beach by the point. It is some of the best on the west coast.

The best part of the resort is the staff. They create a feeling of ohana like no resort that I have been. KVR has the highest return rate of any resort in the islands. I believe the return rate is about 60%. There are many reasons for that return rate but the staff is near or at the top.

This is a very romantic place. You truly feel that you have returned in time to the Hawaii of yesterday. Check it out and feel free to ask any questions.

Bill
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

We are going the end of June budget for hotel could go to $300 a night we would like beach front with a view if possible. KVR sounds nice I just don't think I could get the husband to go with out tv and ac for that long
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM

KVR is about 2X your budget.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM

You don't need an all inclusive in Hawaii.

Pick an island or two & get out & explore the island including restaurants.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For a free Hawaii brochure & a free brochure for each of Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island:

1-800-GOHAWAII
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM

>

Not really because with KVR you get three great meals and recreational toys. The OP's $300 is just for housing. So she will spend more when she includes food, entertainment, recreation, etc.

However, it is clear that KVR is not right for her husband and it surely is over budget.

On the big island you probably could get a nice room at the Waikoloa Marriot, Hilton, Hapuna Prince, and may the cheapest room at the Fairmont and Muana Lani.

enjoy
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Great info thank you all! Dusty the link you posted amazing!! I will be there for days checking it all out thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "all inclusives," but you'll be wanting to explore whatever island you're own and not spend the whole day at your hotel, no matter how beautiful it may be.

You really can't go wrong with any island. We all have our favorites. You probably want to spend at least a few days on Oahu if you've never been, simply because it has the most activities that visitors might have heard of and want to experience. For another island, we're partial to the Big Island. Hapuna Resort and Mauna Lani Hotel are two of our favorite places to stay.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM

You will want to visit the island, but I would rather come back to a beautiful place rather than a housing development.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM

I as well do not know what the term "all inclusives" implies. Pool, massage, cup cakes, breakfast, caviar, servants, a limo, 52" HDTV?
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM

All I can add is this: If you want to know what Kona Village is like, go to www.davidskvr.net. I describe it in great detail, with 298 pictures and 17 video clips. After you've seen it, you will know for sure whether it's for you or not. Some folks can't overcome the no A/C hurdle; others find that after the first night it's no problem and they rather enjoy it. But take a look and see for yourself.
David