handicap hotel rooms NYC

Search

handicap hotel rooms NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handicap hotel rooms NYC

I am starting to plan a trip to NYC, for a stay in September. To keep this simple, I am looking for a hotel that has accessible rooms with "roll-in" showers. I prefer the upper west side near one of the accessible subway stations at 72nd or 66th sts. Any info. on this subject would be very helpful.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM

The hotel closest to the 66th street stop (of the Broadway train line,the number 1) is the newly reopened
Empire hotel on 63rd street. Supposed to have been made a more upscale hotel.

The distance to the subway station is not very far, but there is some building construction blocking some sidewalks nearby, and the streets immediately around Lincoln Center are a little more challenging to cross since they are not in a grid. There are crossings of avenues that create some odd traffic patterns.

There are 2 luxury hotels at Columbus Circle, the Mandarin Oriental (entrance on 60th street)and the Trump International

Nearest to 72nd street: (Broadway train lines, 1, 2, and 3)
Hotel Beacon (mid price) at 74th-75th
Comfort Inn Central Park West 71st street(lower quality/price)

You should definitely contact each hotel directly and/or check their websites for the details on their accessibility in the rooms and public spaces

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Not sure what you mean by "accessible" subway stops. If you mean by that with an elevator, few stops have them - and they're often out of service.

If you need a wheelchair you really can;t count on the subway. You should assume you will need to use buses (all kneel and have complete wheelchair access) or taxis.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM

NOTE: I saw an article in the last couple of week sin one of the local papers that the MTA us looking to address the elevator issue with subways. But - at the moment, most stations do NOT have them - and of the ones that do more than 1/3 are out of service at any one time.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM

There are very few hotels on the UWS so it wouldn't be that difficult to check each of them. I recall checking roll-in showers in NYC once before for someone and found very few in NYC.

The hotels on the UWS that would be near those stops are
On the Avenue
the Beacon
the Milburne

but agree that buses are a better option.

I think if you're willing to give up the UWS idea, the Affinia hotels (www.affinia.com) may be your best bet.

The volunteer organization Big Apple Greeters has some accessibility info on their website. I know they have a list of hotels but don't think it deals with the roll in showers.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Doing a simple websearch for roll in showers, the Doubletree Metropolitan has some rooms with them and that hotel happens to be near a subway stop of the E train which I think has an elevator. You may, however, be stunned at hotel prices for next Sept. in NYC.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Hi unclebro... my father is in a wheelchair and came up to visit last August.

This is my trip report if you'd like to read it (I included many references to how we got around).
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35053542

This bit should help you:

Several of the subways have elevators; but it's never a guarantee that they'll be working. Viewing the MTA subway map, you'll see little wheelchair icons next to the stations that have elevators. I would also strongly recommend printing out a list of the stations with elevators and their location. It was occasionally difficult to find the elevators; the list provided by the MTA was helpful. http://www.mta.info/mta/ada/stations.htm#manhattan

This is the MTA hotline number to call to see which elevators are not working at which stations. It is updated every day but it's not guaranteed to be completely up to date.
(1-800-734-6772)

I hope you enjoy your trip planning---you should get some good tips here.