Notices

Help With NYC Hotel

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With NYC Hotel

Hello,

I don't know New York very well. I'm planning a visit, during the last week of Oct., & am looking for a hotel, in the $250 range, close to the theater district and within
walking distance ( 20 minutes) to the Met. Museum of Art. Would anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Pete W.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Well the Met is about 2 miles from the theater district - so in 20 minutes it would have to be a jog not a walk. Is there some reason you just can't take the subway or a bus?

If you stay on the upper west side you can just walk across the Park - no more than 20 minutes - to the Met and grab a subway a few stops to the theater district.

But - Oct is definitely high season - and I'm not sure what prices will look like by then. I would check things out and reserve something cancelable now (some hotels are running discounts) and check the discount web sites when you get closer. Or consider Priceline if there are no more than 2 of you and you're flexible on exactly what hotel you stay at.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM

You should know that the last week in Oct. is one of the most expensive times of the year with Halloween festivities on the 31st and the NYC Marathon on Nov. 1 this year. If your stay doesn't include those dates, you may have more luck. $250/night at this point is a bit low for the better hotels in the Times Square area. The Comfort Inn Midtown is well located and can be booked for ~ $200/night but it's nothing posh. Closer to the trip if hotels don't book up, prices could come down.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Broadway Ave. doesn't exist in NYC and that link doesn't work. One way you can find hotels near a particular location is to plot the location on maps.google.com and then use the "search nearby" option for hotels.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Don't have specific hotel recommendations for you, but wanted to say that it took my wife and me almost 45 minutes to walk from the MET to our hotel on 42nd a couple weeks ago. So, I think your 20 minute criterion would place your hotel about half-way between the MET and the theater district.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM

I have gotten good prices at different times of year at the Sheraton New York and Tower Hotel. It has mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but I think it is a good value if you can get a room there for under $250.00. Their prices vary a lot over the course of the year; as a previous poster said, fall is an expensive time in NYC. The hotel is at the north end of the theater district, on 7th ave near 53rd. It's a quick walk to Central Park (at 59th) and you can then walk through the park to the Met. Even if it takes 40 minutes, it's enjoyable.