Hanalei - Wishing Well Shave Ice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me again with a specific question - does anybody have any idea of reliable opening hours for the Wishing Well? on our last visit we managed to catch it open only about two times.... and once we just had some lunch..but of course still managed some Shave Ice....
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Aloha from Princeville...

No set hours -- which is how the majority of businesses in Hanalei used to be.

Before Hurricane `Iniki destroyed their building, we'd drive alllll the way to the old Hanalei Museum & Snack Shop (where Postcards is now) -- hoping for one of their awesome handmade burgers -- only to find a "closed" sign because there was a wedding/party/funeral they needed to attend. No worries...we knew they'd be open next day.

Wishing Well still runs their shave ice stand on "island time"!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Mahalo Auntie! I thought that this may be the case...just thought I'd ask anyway. We love 'Island Time', so we shall just enjoy Shave Ice when we can!
Thank you for all the tips btw, we are sooo looking to finally making it back , it is a long journey for us.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM

We had Wishing Well Shave twice last month, we were lucky! Last year they were closed each time we drove by. Guess they ran out of ice after lunch.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Can confirm from visit 3 weeks ago that they are still closed on Monday. We found them to be open most afternoons from 12-4, and running out of ice around 4PM in advance of their 5PM close time. Recall on busier days, such as on weekends, would see an "out of ice" note before 4PM. Backup plan only a few blocks away though more $-): "Shave Ice Paradise" across from Ching Young shopping ctr.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! that gives us a good idea when to give it a try! less than two weeks to go!!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM

Hi,

Yes, I was in Hanalei in late August and Wishing Well Shave Ice was still on island time. We went kayaking on the Hanalei River in the early-ish morning, slopped out of our kayak after 3 hours around 11 a.m. and it was open on a Tuesday.

Sigh. I miss Kauai. Listening to roosters crow has never been the same.... It makes me "home"sick for Kauai.

Best Regards,
Julia