Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HANA. 1/2 the fodies say "nothing to do". 1/2 the fodies say "lots to enjoy".........

Search

HANA. 1/2 the fodies say "nothing to do". 1/2 the fodies say "lots to enjoy".........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, we are committed to 2 nights in hana (1 1/2 days). what are the most beautiful places to see &/or hang-out in..........
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM

In my experience, there are lots of places close to Hana to explore, but nothing right in Hana.

I like the black sand beach and wished we would have had more time there to do the hike along the coast.

Also... Oheo Gulch (seven sacred pools) is quite impressive and we loved the hike (Pipiwai) I think.

I'm sure I'm missing other sights, but those are just my 2 favorites. : )

Enjoy! I think you'll find plenty to occupy your time in Hana. The best part is just sinking into Hawaii time and going with the flow...

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:05 AM

I agree with the "nothing to do" fodorites. I thought the trip was a total waste of time.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Lots to do, enjoy!

I would get a copy of Maui Revealed and do some of the road backward. This way you would have all the spots to yourself instead of being mobbed. Blue Pool was amazing. One could spend alot of time at seven sacred pools if you like hiking and swimming.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Thank God more people don't "get" Hana. People who worry about being bored there, don't get it and probably should stay away. Hana is about "being" not necessarily "doing".

Hamoa Bay. The beach there is among the most beautiful in the islands.

Have a drink and pupus at the bar at the Hotel Hana Maui.

Kahanu Gardens is a very cool place.

Drop into Hasegawa'a.

The Hana Coast Gallery at the Hotel Hana Maui has an amazing collection of art.

The book, "Maui Trails" by Cathy Morey lists several opportunities for hiking, most of them short to moderate. One of my favorites was to pick up the King's Highway at the State Park just before town and take it all the way into town. Gorgeous.

There is a small but wonderful museum just across the street from the beach in town.

For great views, hike up to Fagan's Cross. The gate is just opposite the Hotel Hana Maui.

I loved visiting Lindbergh's grave in Kipahulu.

Spend the mornings getting about and seeing things. Spend the afternoons chilling at Hamoa.

Where are you staying?

-pila
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Well said, pila : 0

I have a question/warning about the Blue Pool. We went years ago when not as many people knew about it. We skipped it on our last trip because I thought I read somewhere that you are trespassing on private property to get there, and so out of respect we didn't do it. Does anyone know for sure?

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM

To us, Hana is the Garden of Eden. It is an exquisite paradise with more areas to explore than you could possibly imagine. To me, the ideal way to spend your time would be to spend one day completely relaxing at the hotel and explore the other day.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:37 AM

acaigirl,
I visited the Blue Pool before the dreaded Revealed book got published and enjoyed several hours there one morning all by myself. The land around the road to it is private and as the place started getting popular and crowded there were problems with inconsiderate and rude people parking cars in driveways and on private land where they shouldn't. When I went there I actually walked in on the road as was suggested in Cathy Morey's book "Maui Trails", which is what most people USED to do.

We'll be back in Hana for only one night in February and we are not planning on visiting Blue Pool. Not enough time and it will probably be crowded. I'd feel like I was adding to the problem by being there.

-pila
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Our favourite things in Hana:

Relaxing!
Walking around Hana before breakfast
Hasegawa'a general store (a good vibe)
Hamoa Beach
Pipiwai trail
Red sand beach

We went to Blue Pool (this was about 2 years ago) but we didn't really like the vibe there - we felt like we were intruding. We wouldn't go there again.

We went to the black sand beach, though nice not a highlight for me. The 'seven pools' are very crowded, which spoils it for me, but the trail (Pipiwai) to the waterfall is amazing.

We ate at Tutu's at Hana Bay for lunch and we had a good smoothie and sandwich from this little hut next to Kipahulu general store. We didn't eat at the Hana-Maui hotel, we walked around it but it really wasn't us. Instead that night we ate at Hana Ranch Restaurant. A bit overpriced, and the food wasn't amazing, but we really loved the friendly atmosphere, and would say it was one of our favourite nights in Hawaii.

pila has it right, the main thing about Hana is to chill. You will not 'get' it if you are expecting to 'see' lots of things! Spending your mornings getting out and about and then relaxing in the afternoon is a good way to structure it.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

thank you all very much. we very much understand "being", and you all recommended some great sounding places to just "be"! pila, we haven't looked for a place to stay yet. we are open to suggestions. thanks again to all of you...............
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

and, "happy new year" to all fodies.......
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:59 AM

May you and all of our fellow fodies have a very happy new year.