Search

Over night in Hana

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over night in Hana

We arrive in Maui at 8:50PM and am spending our first night close to the airport. Then we are getting up and driving to Hana and hopefully stopping lots with our 19 and 22 year old children, who think this part of the trip sounds boring. I have one night booked in Hana, had two nights, booked, but cancelled one. Now I read most people drive all the way around in one day. So I'm wondering if we should be spending the night in Hana at all. If we do, we will then be spending the next 5 nights at the Sheraton on Kanaapali. I've not read about too many poeple spending the night in Hana. Will we be bored, or will will be so tired we will be glad we are spending the night? Any advice is always appreciated.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I believe you'll be very glad you spent the night. Then the next day you can continue your drive on around, enjoying more interesting sights on your way to Kaanapali.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I concur with crazy4Hawaii...a perfect plan. The Hotel Hana is heavenly.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I just had to comment - we drove last yr to Hana and spent two glorious days there. It allowed us to stop and hike into glorious waterfalls, and take our time. We stayed in a 2 bedroom guesthouse that was unbelievable - outdoor shower etc. Only thing is we needed to bring food but we ended up one night at a concert at the ocean with chili,salad etc available for about $5 and fabulous entertainment from a guy called Kenny something. The guest house was directly across the street from the main beach there (Hamoa??) All four of us agreed that these two days provided an added dimension to our whole trip - it was a beautiful adventure - go for it!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Absolutely I do think one night in Hana mimimum! We drove up to Hana last fall and spent the night at the Hotel Hana Maui (be still my heart) This way you get lots of time going up and can enjoy Hana with lots of waterfalls and hiking in the area. The hotel Hana Maui has a fabulous pool and hot tub. Hamoa beach is great and just a short distance away. There is also horseback ridign available. The next day you can continue on stopping at the seven sacred pools early enough that you could have it all to yourselves before any of the "day people" get there.

We lots of pictures of the road to Hana as well as the Hotel Hana Maui and a tip report for Maui, Kauai and Oahu. If you would like the link just email me at [email protected]

Kay
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I wish I was staying at the Hotel Hana Maui, but they only had available two person rooms and we are a family of four. So we are staying at the Hana Kai I think it is called. I have heard it's not the greatest, but it will do. There was not much available at the holidays. But it will be fun no matter what.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM

We did the drive in one day, but I wish we'd been able to spend two nights! It allows more time for exploration, rather than just a 'drive by'.

We left Paia town at around 6:30AM and arrived back to Mana Kai in Kihei around 8:30PM. It was exhausting, exhilarating, adventuresome, and SO many beautiful views! By the time we reached Hana, we realized we were behind schedule and had to by pass the beaches there.

We were rushed to get back and did not get to check out several of the 'off the road' sites, ie. Lindberg's grave, for one. Get the book, Maui Revealed and try to get an idea of which sites you consider a 'don't miss'.

The back side of the road is somewhat desert like (but different from that too) and wavy road and it's VERY dark when the sun's down, so keep the reservation at Hana!!

Belle