Mt. Haleakala or Road to Hana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Maui for 6 days in June and cannot decide whether to drive up to Mt. Haleakala (sunrise or sunset) or drive the Road to Hana. I am just worried about wasting the entire day driving. Is either of these trips worth it? I would only like to do one or the other so I can relax on the rest of the vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:10 AM

If you're going to be in Maui for 6 full days, I can't imagine how you won't have enough time to do both.

Yes, the Road to Hana requires a full day of driving and the sunrise at Mt. Haleakala requires waking up at 3 in the morning, but that's what you do when you go to Maui. And IMHO they're both very much worth it.

And you'd still have plenty of time to relax on the beach.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:00 PM

We drove up Mt. Haleakala on the first early morning on Maui. It was a memorable experience! A few days later, we started the Road to Hana, got half way and carsick, turned around and headed for the beach! HALEAKULA!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I have been to Maui at least 10 times, and my vote is definitely for Haleakala!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:56 PM

I'd do Haleakala, even if you do not do the sunset run. I nevere could get up that early!!!The ride up to Haleakala is fun and interesting, as you go through "upcountry" Maui, as this area is known. You can see the volcano, then do a tour around upcountry area. See Tedeschi Winery, stop for lunch at Kula Lodge, go to the small town of Makawao and see the great shops and art galleries. Lots of fun. Also some good restaurants here too. Drive back down the back way and stop in Paia, a small surfer town with good shops, interesting restaurants, and an old time "hippie" atmosphere. This can take a full day for Haleakala with all of the stops, but you will see so much more than the Hana Road will offer. Don't get me wrong, Hana road is worth doing too, but if I had a choice I'd choose Haleakala. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Loungin

jean77 - I am topping a post I started a while ago which covers the Road to Hana. Please read it. It should answer most of your questions. The title of the post is 'The Road to Hana.' And by the way, I think that you should do both Haleakala and the Road to Hana. Please read it. Thanks.

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM

I am just chiming in to agree with the posters who suggested doing both.

I don't know that I would do Mt. Haleakala again as getting up in the middle of the night is a bit rugged, but once it is definitely worth it. The waterfalls on the road to Hana are wonderful. Bring lots of film.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I couldn't get up early enough to do the sunrise Mt. Haleakala trip, so on our second afternoon after relaxing by the pool and having a nice lunch, my wife and I hopped into the car and drove up for the sunset. It was very nice and a scenic drive that doesn't take too long. Maybe 2 hrs each way, but you can stop and take in the sites as you go. On the way back it is dark, but not a difficult drive. I enjoyed the Hana drive more which we did the next day. However, this is truly an all day activity. I'd vote for the Hana drive, but in 6 days, you might find you have time to squeeze in the drive up the crater even if it is just for sunset. By the way, I may be in the minority in saying the sunset atop Haleakala wasn't too spectacular. The sun sets over the water so your back is turned to the crater. However, it is a cool view from up there above the cloud cover which can be enjoyed before the sun goes down too.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:36 PM

You should do both at least once; however, Haleakala is my definite favorite. I haven't gone up at sunrise (can't bring myself to get up that early on vacation) but it is great in the daytime.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I agree with Haleakala - and I agree with your concern about spending all your time driving.... If the weather is bad - I would skip both and find that sunny spot on the beach somewhere..... I've been to both..and I definitely like Haleakala better.... Hana really is the WHOLE day...............
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM

My husband and I spent 7 days in Maui and we did both trips, plus so much more ... and had plenty of time to relax on the beach. Seeing the sunrise, then biking down Haleakala was such an awesome experience. We were resting on the beach by lunchtime. I also LOVED the Road to Hana... priceless scenery. Definately the best pictures from our honeymoon. Bring extra film... we ran out. Leave early and head home well before dark. We headed back too late and it was a truly trecherous drive back. Stop at Picnics in Paia, and they will pack you a picnic basket to bring with you. If you don't expect to get back to Maui I would definately suggest both. They are what Maui is all about!! Have fun!