Search

Timing on Maui, traffic in Hana, and what to do on Lanai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing on Maui, traffic in Hana, and what to do on Lanai

Hi!

Have about 4 days in Maui this May and am having trouble deciding how to fit things in without being too rushed. Itinerary so far:

Day 1: 2:00 pm ferry from Lanai, pick up car and see Lahaina. Drive to B&B in upcountry.

Day 2: Haleakala and Polipoli park

Day 3: Road to Hana, and stay in Hana overnight.

Day 4: Oheo Gulch and hiking, beaches. Stay in Hana.

Day 5: drive the south road back from Hana and fly out of Kahului around 4:00 pm.

I would really like to see Iao valley, but not sure where to fit it in. I don’t think I will have enough time on the first day.

If I am staying in Hana, is it still necessary to leave very early or is the afternoon also a possibility for avoiding most of the traffic? (will be a Saturday) Since I will have my luggage in the car, I was already planning on skipping some of the stops closer to Hana to come back and do either later that day or on the next.

Also would appreciate any suggestions for activities in Lanai aside from what is in the guidebooks – I am going to be there almost five days due to a wedding.

Advice and comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Speaking for myself - I wouldn't spend the night in Hana. We did the drive and altho the drive to Hana was gorgeous, Hana itself was something of a non-event. I'm glad we drove back the same day. As I recall, we left Kihei about 8AM, got to Hana for a late lunch, and were back in Kihei before dinner - the drive back is a little faster since we didn't stop at all the waterfalls, botanical gardens, etc.

If you stay in Hana - most of the morning traffic would likely be going towards Hana rather than out.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM

If your schedule is too rushed, I would skip the Iao Valley.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I would definitely stick with your plan to stay in Hana. Although the town itself isn't bustling with activity, it is so calm and peaceful there and has a completetly different feel than the more touristy parts of the island. We stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Hana-Maui in 2002 and loved every minute of it. The area is so pretty with lots of places to explore that you would miss if you are just driving through. With that said...if you wait until the afternoon to head back you will probably be caught up in the "traffic" of people returning from Hana who drove out that morning. If you leave in the morning, you shouldn't encounter much traffic at all.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I must agree that I wouldn't stay in Hana overnight. I did the drive and back in one day and at the end of the day was certain I'd made the right decision to not stay there. I've also been to Lanai and know that by the time you get to Maui, you might be ready for more activities than what you will find in Hana. The drive is definitely worth doing and is wonderful, but there is a lot of Maui to see that you will run out of time before seeing if you spend that much time in Hana.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM

I haven't been, but read Maui Revealed and they highly recommend the ride and to stay there...if you do stay, there is more to see past Hana. Many places to stop, here is what was recommended...sorry for the length!

8-)

Pa’ia to 360 and on 360
 Start at Hwy 36, after Pa’ia
o Past 10 mile marker = Maliko Gulch
o Hwy becomes 360 country road and mile markers reset to 0 (reset the odometer!)
o Don’t bother with Twin Falls, better falls await
o 1 6/10 miles past 5 Mile Marker: a dirt turnout, leads to four waterfalls.
o 10 Mile Marker: Near the mile marker, Waikamoi Stream – usually dry, but if it’s after a heavy rain, worth seeing – watch for a good sign if water is flowing under the bridge, if not, don’t bother
o 8/10 mile past 10 Mile Marker: on the ocean side is a turnout (look for the telephone pole, barbed wire fence). Path along the fence, couple minute walk, large waterfall, Lower Puohokamoa Falls
o ½ mile past 11 Mile Marker: small turnout on far side of bridge and a trail leads 30 seconds to a pool and waterfall, Haipua’ena Falls.
o ¾ mile past 12 Mile Marker: view of Ke’anae Peninsula.

Ke’anae to Hahiku
o Road into Ke’anae – can take this for some photo ops of the ocean and jagged lava boulders
o 17 Mile Marker: Just before, a bridge and pullout. Path about 75 feet to left, leads down to Ching’s Pond.
o 1/3 mile past 17 Mile Marker: stand known as Halfway to Hana. Banana bread and snacks worth stopping for.
o 2/3 Mile past 17 Mile Marker: pull over and walk to the white concrete bridge. Look down on the ocean side of the bridge.
o Past the 18 Mile Marker: a road leading to Wailua – to the right, Waikani Falls
o Just before 19 Mile Marker: Wailua Valley State Wayside on the Mountain side; take the stairs to the right to the top, and on the ocean side
o Between 19 & 20 Mile Markers: Upper Waikani Falls (Three Bears Falls). At far side of bridge is a fairly easy short path – the first step is ugly. Can get next to the falls.
o Between 22 & 23 Mile Markers: Pua’a Ka’a State Park – two small waterfalls, great photo ops. Restrooms.
o After 24 Mile Marker: Hanawi Falls – take a picture from the bridge
o Shortly Past 24 Mile Marker: When it’s flowing, one of the nicest. Pull over on the far side of the bridge – if you walk out to the ridge, from the middle of the ocean side, look straight down; directly above the Makapipi Falls
o Nahiku Road: 2 ½ miles down, at the bottom, jaw-dropping view of shoreline. Little path on the left that leads to a private waterfall spot. Good place for lunch.

Nahiku to Hana
o Near the 31 Mile Marker: ‘Ula’ino Road – dead ends into a stream. Falls around the corner – Blue Pool. May have to park before you hit the dead end.
o Past 32 Mile Marker: Wai’anapanapa Black Sand Beach – Pa’iloa Beach is a black sand beach.

Hana
o Hana Bay has a black sand beach
o On right side of bay is Hana Pier. Nearby is a trail.
o Red Sand Beach (Kaihalulu)
o Hamoa Beach
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
bonniebroad

With less than four days on Maui, I would definitely not spend the night in Hana. As a matter of fact, I might skip Hana entirely and save it for another trip! The road to Hana is very pretty, but there's lots to see and do on Maui, without spending so much tine in the car during such a short visit! JMHO ... have a great time, however you spend it!