2 nights in Hana on 5 day Maui trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't decide if we should spend our five nights at one place and do day trips, or split up and do 3 nights in Hana. What do you think?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

meant 2 nights in hana
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Hana is nothing but a little town with a beach and a few tourist stops. I can't imagine that I would want to spend even one night there. When my mom and I went in Jan 2002, we did the drive from Kihei to Hana, had lunch on the beach and drove back the same day. The sights are really the drive, not the town. To me, it's just a nice day trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Recently returned from Maui and did the Road to Hana. I agree with just about everything that tigerhawk said except that if you plan on making all the little excursions along the way, including all the little hikes and such, and also plan on driving past Hana and all the way around the island as some people do, you may need to stay over 1 nite there.

My wife and I left early from Wailea (around 7 A.M.), did everything, but ran out of time on the back end of the island. We had to turn around and come back. If I were to do it again, I might spread the whole drive out over 2 days, spending 1 nite in Hana. But as tigerhawk said, there is very little to do in Hana itself.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:59 AM

I also say: one night max in Hana. UNLESS you are totally frazzled and just want to get away from it all and vegetate!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I agree with the 1 night plan, though some of the better B&Bs require 2-night stays. Your dining choices will be limited - Hana Ranch's high-end restaurant, the take-out window at the ranch proper, and a "plate lunch" window down by the boat ramp. If you have a room with a kitchenette you could stock up before-hand (or along the way with fresh tropical fruit). My recommendation would be to meander along the "road to Hana" for a day, and get into town early enough to visit one of the pretty beaches. The next morning drive past Hana to the "Seven Sacred Pools" (there are more than 7 and they aren't sacred) and view the bottom ones before hiking up to the big waterfall inland. Then keep driving around to the dry side of the island and stop at the Tedeschi winery in upcountry Maui before taking a late flight out or returning to a beach resort in Wailea or Kaanapali. Another night in Hana would be VERY slow - if that's what you really want, then by all means enjoy the many different beaches in the area. But bring bug spray - it is the wettest part of the island and a year ago the region had a freak dengue fever outbreak.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:38 PM

A different viewpoint: we loved Hana, stayed 2 nights, wished we had 1 or 2 more. Love to hike, swim, and cook. The house we stayed in was so romantic, we could've stayed inside for a week and still kept busy!

http://www.hamoabay.com/
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:55 PM

orangetravelcat,

I topped off a post that I started a few months ago as I was planning my trip. Take a read...it may answer a lot of your questions.

And I'm sure there are other similar posts as well. Do a search.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Did 3 nights in Hana Mar 02...very relaxing.....cabin on the water...cooked meals inside and out(BBQ)
Wonderful time....travel to Hana pm...back in am....miss the traffic!!!