2 hotels in Maui?

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

2 hotels in Maui?

My wife and I are planning a week long trip to Maui. The island seems so big, we were contemplating staying a few nights on the Western half of the island (possibly Kaanapali) and a few nights on the Eastern half (possibly Hana). Is this worth the trouble? Thanks!!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:59 AM

If you are only going to be there a week I would not split it up, it's too much packing and unpacking for such a short time. Just do a day trip to Hana, plan on a long day and maybe have lunch at the hotel in town, that's what we've generally done when we have gone there. Really is not that big, it's just that there is no way to go through the mountains so you go around them.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM

I do not suggest breaking it up. I agree with the poster before me, a day trip to Hana is plenty. There is nothing to do over there. Kannapali is a wonderful area - we stayed at the Sheraton Maui and loved it. This year we are staying at the Embassy and can't wait to go back. Do the Road to Hana trip, purchase a CD to take in the car with you to point out interesting stops and facts and then return to your home base. My husband and I love Maui!! Have a wonderful time!!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:28 PM

YES, it's worth the "trouble"!

If you are staying seven days, please click on my screenname and read my trip report called "Maui trip report--action packed with details" regarding why you should spend a night or two in Hana. Hana is a totally different experience from the rest of the island, and even having spent two nights there we didn't see half the stuff we wanted to!

love
roxy
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:46 PM

IT's definitely a personal preference. If you don't mind packing up to move, it's not that big of a deal and allows you become a little more intimate with different parts of the island without worrying about a lot of driving.

If you think changing hotels is a big deal, then just pick one area. Personally, I don't mind it, but some people really unpack and spread out in their room so it would be a bigger effort. When we were in Maui earlier this year, we spent one night at the Plantation Inn in Lahaina then moved onto our hotel in Wailea for five nights.

Hana would definitely be a nice choice but not sure you would want to stay any more than two nights since you are very secluded. Also, keep in mind if you decide to end your trip in Hana, consider the drive from Hana to the airport when making your flight arangements. You won't want any flights in the morning since it will be a pretty lengthy drive getting out of Hana.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Yes, the drive from Hana to the airport is a consideration. We stayed in Hana for the last two nights of our trip and had a 2pm flight, so it worked out okay...I think going around the south end of the island it took about three hours, maybe a little less--and this is a GREAT drive too.

With regards to being secluded in Hana, well, that's why you go to Hana, you don't go for the nightlife, there isn't any, you go to spend all day hiking and exploring and swimming in waterfalls...if that's what you're into, you could spend a week in Hana, as we wanted to, we loved the time we spent there so much. If you need to be entertained in the traditional way, Hana is probably not for you.

love
roxy
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:02 PM
bquarre

One could argue that visitng a locale like Hana should be the ONLY reason for going to Hawaii. I agree with turn it on. bigLex, trust your intuition. If you search under Hana on this board you will get a good feel for the opinions on the plus and the minus side of an overnight at Hana. I would not think twice about it.