Reload this Page >

Hamptons vs. North Fork

Search

Hamptons vs. North Fork

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:01 AM
NYer

Hamptons vs. North Fork

Planning to escape Manhattan for a weekend in Long Island. Wavering between the Hamptons (Quogue?), the North Fork and Montauk. Any suggestions? Looking to schmooze with nature not debutantes.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:24 AM
me

The north Fork is much more low key, but beaches aren't as nice.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:51 AM
ryan

The South fork will definately be more crowded with Lizzie Grubman and her friends. I'd second that the NF is is much more low key.

BTW, there are several wineries along the North Fork. Some are very good, some are just ok. They are all relatively close by which make for a nice wine tasting tour.

Greenpoint has several decent restaurants. Parts of Riverhead can be a dump. However, there is a nice little downtown area. If you do go, you might want to take the ferry from Greenpoint to Fischer Island.

Montauk definately has more of a beach town feel than say East Hampton. It is much more low key than its neighbors to the west.

If you want the beach, Montauk may be a better call than the North Fork. One warning, Gurney's is really overpriced for the rooms you actually get.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:02 AM
jmcmahon

Which wineries would you recommend?

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:09 AM
ryan

There are at least a dozen of them. The one's that we've liked (whose names I can remember) are Pinder, Ospray. To be honest, I know the one's I like by the "wine-map" that is given out. Not so much by the name.

They are all fairly close geographically. I'd say the right approach is to hit as many as you can in the time you have. We've done a wine tasting trip in the fall with the same group of friends for several years. A great way to spend a Saturday.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:11 AM
alex

Hi NYer,

I grew up on the NF and I agree with the other posters that it is more laid back than the Hamptons - both are fun but just different. Below is the link to the NF Vacation Guide. There are about 20 wineries on the NF now. My sister works on and off at Galluccio/Gristina in Cutchogue. There are some pretty little beaches but not like Montauk or East Hampton - Orient Beach State Park is nice though. Riverhead offers the Tanger Outlet Center and the Atlantis Aquarium. Greenport has really been revitalized with a new waterfront park, and many new shops and restaurants. You can check the Suffolk Times online for news and community events (www.suffolktimes.com) - check back issues for restaurant reviews as I don't think the Dining Guide starts up again until Memorial Day. If you go to the North Fork, you will likely pass through Mattituck on the Main Road - stop in at Magic Fountain for a homemade ice cream cone. I used to spend much of my summers at the ocean in the Hampton Bays and Quogue area. I am sure you will have fun no matter you decide to visit!

http://www.timesreview.com/northfork.htm