Florida Keys / Key west

Search

Florida Keys / Key west

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys / Key west

we are a family of 4 thinking of travelling to key west in late oct.
whats the best resort hotel and is the ocean temp still warm for swimming.
any other tips ??
thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Whoa! Before making plans, please double-check to find out when Fantasy Fest is going on. I think it starts October 19 and (maybe) ends the 28th, but I'm not positive.

In any event, it's the only time of the year I would suggest you NOT take the whole family. It's considered the "grown-up" version of Mardi Gras with lots of people clad only in body painting, lots of people drunk, and lots of lewdness and crudeness.

I can't help you with the ocean temps, but if you're not familiar with the keys, you need to know that since the islands are coral, most beaches are man-made and tiny. Swimming off the beach can be tricky, because it's shallow so far out that it takes a little energy to get somewhere deep enough to swim. Having said that, Ft. Zachary Taylor is a very nice area, but you'll need beach shoes to swim there, as it can be rocky.

There really is only one place that can be considered a resort in Key West: The Casa Marina. It's a Waldorf Astoria property, and though a little far off the beaten track, it's very nice.

How old are you children?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Egad, I've just reread my post and it looks pretty scary. The truth is that we've been going to Key West since the early 90s, and absolutely love it! You'd probably never know from my "warnings."

I wouldn't hesitate to take my grandchldren there, but during the times when we visit - spring and fall - they're in school.

My comment about the beaches was based on the number of people who visit the keys and are disappointed because they
expect wide white sandy beaches like in the panhandle.

Having said that, there are LOTS of people who go to the keys for water sports (boating, snorkeling, scuba, fishing, etc.).

Back to Fantasy Fest. I'd still advise you to steer clear during that time. For years we went for the final parade - and are still in town that night - but we avoid it now.

As I said, the Casa Marina is very nice. Another possible option you might want to consider is the Ocean Key Resort. It's on the bay side of the island - which I prefer - but it has no beach. It is, however, next to Mallory Square, which is where the nightly sunset celebrations are, and I think your family would enjoy them. For a different sort of experience (and pricier), you might look at the Cottages at Sunset Key. They're managed by the Westin and are an 8 minute ferry ride from Key West. When I have a bit of time, I'll post links to both of these places. Hope I haven't scared you off! Susan
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Florida.html
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. We will put a bit more thought into the trip.