Search

North Fork &/or Hamptons??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Fork &/or Hamptons??

"I'm planning a weekend trip to LI from CT in 2 weeks and we are considering going wine tasting on the North Fork for the day Saturday and then heading to the Hamptons (narrowing down Sag Harbor or Montauk for dinner and hotel. So far most hotels in Sag Harbor are full and we'd love to go to Montauk, but its a lot of driving when all is said & done. We would stay on the North Fork, but we find it too quiet in the evening and want a little more "energy".
I have been told that Greenport in the North Fork is the place to stay, but when I went there last summer, I found it a bit quiet and sleep- though quaint & cute. Are there other towns in the North Fork we're not aware and should consider?
Are there good wineries on the South Fork en route to Hamptons we should consider?
Is the drive too long for an overnight?
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM

During the summer months, the North Fork and the Hamptons could not be more different, in my opinion (and I have spent a lot of time in both).

The Hamptons has the scene in the summer, with long lines at restaurants and clubs. "Celebrities" are everywhere.

The North Fork is much more peaceful and, yes, "quiet."

In the off-season months, however, the Hamptons isn't much different. (And Montauk is especially quiet.)

Wolffer is a nice Hamptons winery, just outside of Bridgehampton, but the vast majority of palatable wines are found in the North Fork.

For a weekend trip in late October, I'd pick one or the other. If wine tasting is your focus, then certainly the North Fork is the best option for you.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 07:27 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks so much Gekko!
I didn't realize Wolffer is on the Hamptons side. I see that Channings Daughter is as well....have you tried their wines?

I'm thinking we might do a couple of wineries on the North Fork and then head over to Wolffer and stay in Bridgehampton instead of heading all the way to Montauk. I'd love to spend one day wine tasting and then the evening and the next day shopping around and having lunch.

For the wine portion, I'd love a good wine and a beautiful vineyard to drink it in (sitting with views of the vineyard). But I want a balance of wine and town for this trip.

Thanks again for the great advice.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Both Wolffer and Channing Daughters make nice wines and both vineyards are beautiful with Wolffer really being a knock out. Getting from the North Fork to the Hamptons is not that difficult. You can use the ferries across Shelter Island if you're as far east as Greenport. I think you'll find much more happening at night in the Hamptons (Bridgehampton happens to have a lot of good restaurants) although there are good restaurants on the North Fork like North Fork Table & Inn.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie! We're going this weekend and waited to long to book a place. We didn't think we'd have trouble in the fall but we just found out its the weekend of the Film Festival and a lot of places are sold out. Do you know of any cute, clean, decent places that are $250 or under that we should consider?
Thank you again!
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Did you go to the Frisky Oyster or Noah's in Greenport? They have a pretty lively bar scene, great wines and excellent food. My problem with Greenport is more the hotels. The 2 best hotels are ridiculously expensive for nice looking motels. There are some good off season deals. I dont drive so have to stay in town; you have more options.

The Channing Daughters wines are pretty good, but I like the variety on the North Fork more. Shinn and the Old Field. Laurel Lake. Paumanock. I often meet a Hamptons friend for taste tests. I bring something North Fork, she brings Channing Daughters.

There's a post on my site about an April weekend in Greenport.

suitcaseready.com
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Your first post said in 2 weeks. This is a bad weekend to find a room. Even if you can find an opening, most places will want a minimum 2 night stay. You can try
>the Wainscott Inn http://www.wainscottinn.com/index.html
>the Southampton Village Motel http://www.southamptonvillagemotel.com/rates.html
but I think for this weekend, you might be better staying on the North Fork or even Shelter Island. The ferry from Shelter Island to Sag Harbor takes 5 mins., no reservation required, very easy.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM

JES, I have a friend with a charming guest house behind her house in Southampton Village (right off Main st.) The guest house is empty this weekend and she'd be willing to rent it for the 1 night to you. Not sure how to arrange contact if you're interested.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
JES
Original Poster

Hi McLaurie,
Thanks so much! Can you email me her info at [email protected]?
You're right, I did say in a cpl of weeks when I first posted..I thought we were going next weekend. I wish we were!
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Will do.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
JES
Original Poster

Mclaurie, I can't thank you enough for the great cottage referral. It is such a little gem!! It's in the most perfect location within walking distance to Southampton Village and the decor is done with such a great eye for detail. Your friend was wonderful and we loved everything about it. Just adorable and really helped make our trip. Thank you!