Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stay in Key West with 6 months twin babies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to drive from Tampa to Key West, and stay for 2-3 days tops. I have never being there, but now with the babies everything needs a little bit more planning.
I am having a hard time to find hotels that accept babies and are not super expensive.
Any advice would be welcome. And since I am posting this, any suggestion of activities for the family while there would be great as well.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure of their rates, but you should definitely check out the Island City House. It has lots of different types of accommodations (though I've heard the Arch house is the least desirable) and I think you'll be able to find something that suits you and your babies. It's also family-friendly, and lots of places in Key West aren't.

As for activities, I think your 6 month old babies will be happy with anything. If you'd like, you might take them to the Butterfly Conservancy, which I love.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:36 AM

But talk to your pediatrician before you take them to the beach. A lot of doctors don't like to see babies on the beach because of the danger of skin cancer later. Fortunately, the beaches in Key West itself are not great, though there are plenty of good ones on the keys on the way down.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:44 AM

Another place that I forgot to mention is the Best Western Hibiscus. It's in a good location, gets really good reviews, and the rooms are equipped with refrigerators and microwaves.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=10206
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. And we are looking for some place to relax and enjoy the babies, not much to go to the beach per say. Just a change of scenario!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM

In this instance, I would recommend a chain hotel that's friendly to Families... most of the small inns and hotels don't allow small children and aren't prepared to accomodate your babies...

A lot of Key West fun involves walking around in the heat of the day, a sunset sail, snorkle trips, Conch Train tour, large crowds at Sunset Celebration, popping in and out of shops, and night life... all of these are unfriendly to babies and you will be very limited...

With all of Florida to choose from, I would skip Key West with kids this age and pick a closer destination that is better prepared to handle you... Sanibel/Captiva can be fun with a baby pool, nearby restaurants, and some nature stuff, but Key West is hot, not stroller friendly, and difficult for babies....