Search

Hampton Inn Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hampton Inn Manhattan

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North,
851 Eighth Avenue @ 51st Street? I got a pretty good rate there but I don't know anything about the hotel. I'm debating if I should try for a better hotel on Priceline but I know it will be difficult to find a good rate for New York City in the fall. I guess I have nothing to lose giving Priceline a try.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:54 AM

I was just in that neighborhood.yesterday. It is the former Howard Johnsons and has just undergone what looked to be a pretty extensive renovation.

My friend lives across the street and had family stay there when it was HOJOs and they never had any serious complaints. Obviously it is not a 4* but is well located and the rooms are of decent size.

With prices the way they are in Manhattan (especially in the fall) you may need to hang on to this one. Keep trying P'line though.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:09 PM

As Eeva said, the hotel has been undergoing renovations as it changed over from HoJo's to Hampton Inn. It's in a great location - close to Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, several subways lines, big choice of ethnic restaurants on 9th Ave.

My one warning would be they are building a new condominium right behind the hotel and start working around 7 am (except for Sun.) It can be unbelievably noisy (I live in the neighborhood) if you like to sleep in.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I get the impression that this particular Hampton Inn hasn't opened yet but is taking reservations. Sounds like it is in a good location. Thanks again.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM

I am absolutely thrilled to learn that there's a Hampton Inn in that area now (or soon to be). Hilton points - here I come!

RaleighGirl, I've never been disappointed at a Hampton Inn. I used to be able to get the Hilton on 6th at a great rate via Priceline but understand those deals aren't as common anymore. I'd be happy with the Hampton - and try Priceline right before your trip. Just pay attention to the HI's cancellation policy.