Comfort Inn Midtown or Milford Plaza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're spending five days in NYC in the middle of August. Like to spend our money on shows rather than hotel rooms. I'm currently holding two reservations, the Milford Plaza for $109 a nite, and the comfort Inn for $126. I've read some really negative reviews on tripadvisor.com about he Milford Plaza and am a little leary. Any personal thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM

I would spend the extra money and stay at the Comfort Inn. My experience as a New Yorker with Milford Plaza is that there are always crowds of tour groups standing outside and in the lobby. (Though this is probably common in many Times Square hotels in mid-August.)

I have never been inside, but would find 'comfort' in the chain-standard of Comfort Inn. $126 is still an excellent deal for the city.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Although we haven't stayed at that particular Comfort Inn, we stayed at one on the upper west side that was the worst hotel we've ever been to. So I have to disagree about the comfort of chain standards.

We stayed at the Milford Plaza once ad it was OK--clean, well located, safe, with pleasant staff.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:37 PM

You can get the Marriott Marquis through Priceline for about $111. Check www.biddingfortravel.com and bid on Priceline.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM

The Comfort Inn Midtown is an excellent hotel in an excellent location --near Times Square but on a relatively quiet block packed with interesting restaurants.

As part of the Apple Core group of hotels, it's been recently remodeled. Small hotel with small lobby but excellent staff and clean comfortable rooms. Last I heard, it's the only all-nonsmoking hotel in Manhattan. My only complaint was the free continental breakfast was boring. Keep checking the rates, I found that they dropped twice as the date of my late-July stay approached. Ask for a room on the 6th floor or above so you don't have a view of a nearby wall!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:13 AM

It is true, the Comfort Inn you speak of is evidently much better than the upper west side one. Avoid the Milford Plaza. Between your 2 choices definitely pick this Comfort Inn. All the applecorehotels.com are evidently good (your Comfort Inn is one of those). But I also agree if you're just 2 people, Priceline is a good option. For $126 you'll get a 4 star hotel or better still, pay less.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn a couple of weeks ago. The rooms are small, but clean and quiet (request upper floors). Also, the location is right near Times Square. If your not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel, the Comfort Inn will definitely suit your needs. Good Luck!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:17 AM

We did PL in Jan and got the Millenium Broadway for $113 (dont know if summer would mean having to bid higher to get it) and it was awesome... but the last time we went to NY we stayed the first night at the Milford and the room was barely big enough to fit the bed in. So we called around and got the Marquis on Times Square for $125 through the Entertainment Book rate, and switched for the last 4 nights. That was 5 yrs ago, though, but my point is that you can probably do alot better than the Milford for the same money or just a bit more.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:34 PM

I went to NY in Feb and March this year and both times was able to get the Millenium Broadway for $100 a night on Priceline. My husband and I both love this hotel and for the price it can't be beat.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown a few summers ago. Watch out for your belongings in the breakfast room...my bag was stolen. This is a private breakfast area, not a restaurant open to the public. If going there, or any restaurant for that matter, face towards the entrance and wherever you are, be aware! I thought I was... The hotel did little to help me through the mess.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM

I would consider the Super 8 Times Square as another option. It is right down the street from the Comfort Inn and is owned by the same group. The Super 8 tends to run about $10 less per night than Comfort Inn. I have stayed there twice. It is basic but clean.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM

I just stayed at the Comfort Inn this week for a night. Good, clean, basic. My only complaint was the a/c was a window unit, that just droned on all night. I hate that noise. Otherwise it was just fine. PS with my AAA discount it was $116