Halekulani or Hilton in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read through several posts on these properties, and am hoping for help deciding between the two hotels. The least expensive rate at the Halekulani is $100 more than the Hilton, so I am trying to "justify" the price difference. We will probably use the pool more than the beach, so are not concerned about the small beach area at the Halekulani. Hilton's pool looks great; however, previous posters indicated that the super pool is very crowded during August.

The other important factor is how comfortable the beds are - any comments appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:00 PM

Unless you're staying in the Ali'i Tower at the Hilton, the Halekulani is the far superior hotel. The Halekulani and Mandarin are in a class by themselves on Oahu. The main Hilton is just a huge, impersonal, mass market hotel.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:55 AM
LT

Hi Tasha!

Unless you are travelling with children, my vote is for the Halekulani, hands-down. I don't understand why some on this board are so enamored w/the HHV. It's old, full of loud tourists, and one tower has been or still is closed because of mold.

Another very nice hotel I would recommend you check out is the Hawaii Prince Hotel. It's not right on the beach, but ther rooms are spacious, and every room has a spectacular view of Honolulu harbor. They have a free shuttle that will take you to the beach and shopping.

Enjoy!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:04 AM

We stayed at the HHV in March; the mold problem had long since been taken care of. The shopping village and the landscaping are very well done. The beautiful beach is just steps from the breakfast area. It remains a very large, impersonal hotel, however, and we would not stay there again.

Although the pool looks nice, the constant stream of people takes away from its appeal. It is the central hub for a resort of 1,000 rooms, so when I say it gets busy, believe me.

We much preferred the quieter end of Waikiki, the New Otani Hotel, from our last visit.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:12 AM

Hilton Hawaiian Village=Just That
2,998 rooms

Halekulani="House Befitting Heaven"
456 rooms

That alone wud justify $100 per night.The difference between monstrous and tranquil.Luxury vs ordinary.Go for the Halekulani, IMHO.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance. I just called the Halekulani, and the rate will be more expensive than I thought (because I need a non-smoking room, and they are only available on higher floors).

I did notice a good rate for the Royal Hawaiian. We had considered that hotel as well, but had read several negative postings about the property recently.

I hate to go over budget on Oahu as I already did that for the first week in Maui!! However, I do want a nice hotel with our most important factor-comfortable beds!

Can anyone let me know if the Royal Hawaiian has beds similar to the "heavenly beds" at Westins? (considering the Garden View, king room)

Thanks again-