Haleakala Crater on Horseback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will only have on day to visit Haleakala Crater. We are going to do the sunrise thing and then either do a Zipline tour or the horseback riding. Has anyone done the horseback riding and would you recommend it?? If you do the horseback riding is that all we will have time for in a day and will we see enough of the crater?? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I did the horseback ride about 4 years ago. I thought it was great. I bellieve there are several tours now, I would call around for length and descriptions.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM

The 1st time there I did the horseback ride. The last 2(including our trip 2 weeks ago) we hiked into Haleakala instead. Personally, I enjoy the hiking much better for several reasons. The horseback riding trips start later in the morning (I forget, but around 9-10am). So, if you are up for the sunrise(which is done by 6am), then you'll have several hours to kill before the ride. The ride then lasts all day. Yes, it is beautiful and nice to go to the bottom; but it was a very long, hot day for us - not to mention, I am not accustomed to horseback riding, so 'certain areas' were sore for a day or 2 after the ride.
The last 2 trips we went up for the sunrise, snoozed in the car for about an hour afterwards, then changed into shorts and spent about 2 or so hours hiking down and up the Sliding Sands trail. It is definitely more strenuous this way, the scenery(in my opinion) is just as beautiful. Back to the car by 9:30-10am(or explore a few of the other trails in the area); then drive back down; eat brunch/lunch and have rest of afternoon to explore or go back to beach and lounge. We saw the zipline tour the other week on our way back down and thought about doing it, but changed our minds at the last minute.
If you enjoy hiking, then I think you'll enjoy that more than spending the whole day on horseback. In either case, the area is beautiful - enjoy!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:21 PM

If you're not used to horseback riding, go to a saddle shop before you leave and buy a "seat saver." This is a fleece (or gel) pad that goes over the saddle seat and cusions it. I am assuming you'll need a Western model for Hawaii.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM

What's a zipline tour? We are also
debating either going down on horseback
or ATV....ATV sounds much easier!!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM

ATVs are also very destructive of the environment.. Haleakala is considered by native Hawaiians to be a sacred place. It seems much to contradictary to me.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant. I assumed there would be trails for the ATV's to stay on...not running over vegatation or anything. And, I've never been on an ATV so, if there are other harmful aspects..I appreciate the education. What other options are there for exploring the crater?