Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod lighthouses...are there any you can tour the inside of?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done some research, but can't seem to find much info. about lighthouse tours.

We'll be staying in Hyannisport, but are willing to drive anywhere around the Cape.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:01 PM
emd

There are the three sisters lighthouses- you can't get into them, but you can get into the lighthouse next to them (red on the top, white on the bottom; I want to say it is Tuoro light, but I have loaned out my lighthouse visit log/journal to someone and so do not have the name here). It's small but they do give a tour. Also, there is the very nice light at Chatham. We went there on Thankgiving Day and could not get in. I think they have tours there. It's bigger, and has a very nice beach adjacent to it.
Which lighthouse internet sites are you using? U.S. Lighthouse Society?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:38 AM
emd

Buffalogirl: Because we are going again at Thanksgiving and you got me thinking abou tthis, I did a basic yahoo search for cape cod lighthouses, and a link came up to www.capeannieslight.com/lighthouses_
photos1.html
This has a list of all CC lights that offer tours, w/times they are open. Tuoro and Chathum are on the list, many others. It also has a link at the bottom of the page to another site w/info. This was very easy to find on yahoo.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, EMD! It didn't even occur to me to check out lighthouse websites (duh). I'll check out the one you suggested.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
emd

I'm somewhat of a lighthouse buff (rec room and guest rm are all nautical and lighthouse oriented in the house, and we always try to get to them when we travel), so I just happen to know that there is alot of good info out there- there are even websites on lighthouses you can STAY in as in bed and breakfasts inside the lighthosue. That is cool, we've done it. Good luck on the Cape!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:36 PM

The red and white lighthouse near the Three Sisters (which are in the woods) is Nauset Light at Eastham and is open Sunday afternoons for tours. Highland, or Cape Cod Light, is in Truro and open on a more regular basis - there is an admission charge to climb to the top. Chatham Light (twin to Nauset, but white) is on Coast Guard property and open occasionally.