Help w/planning a special day for a 50th birthday at Bosque d' Cabo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off to Bosque del Cabo at end of month. The purpose of this trip is to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday in an adventurous way. She originally wanted to repel a waterfall, but last week had unexpected surgery that effects one of her arms. It is our first trip to CR and other than a little swimming and hiking, we are not all that adventurous.

I wanted to plan a day of activities. At this point tho, I'm thinking yoga, a message and an easier hike around the property that ends up on the beach. Would one hike be better than another? Also, are any of the adverturious activities not too strenuous for something 3 weeks post-surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions for making the day memorable.

I also wanted to have a birthday cake. Is this something that the folks at BdC could take care of?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM

You bet they will. They'll love being in on the fun. Contact Leonardo or Jose and have them put you in touch with Gerly. Or talk to Kim or Phil.

The long (hour plus) trail (called the Golfo Dulce) that leads down to the Golfo Dulce would be okay for you guys. It's long, but downhill and takes you to 3 beaches. The hotel will pack your lunches and you can take off about 10:00 or 11:00 and spend the day. When you are ready to return, you can wait for a hotel pickup on the road behind the beaches. We returned about 4:00. Our ride didn't come and we THOUGHT we were going to have to hike back. Scared me to death---mainly because dark wasn't too far away! Finally, we did get a ride.

The Titi Trail would be a good one as well. Also the Zapatero Trail. The Pacific Trail is a strenuous, steep not-so-bad going down, hell coming back up trail to the beautiful and wild Pacific Coast. You have to go according to the tide schedule, but it is a fun hike! Whew on coming back up though! Not sure the impaired body part would handle it so well. . .I suppose if you were really careful and went slowly!

The yoga and massage sounds wonderful. I'm planning the same for March! And counting the days!

Happy Birthday to your sister! 50 is a very good year! Wise, intelligent, and more gorgeous than ever, I'll bet!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM

We missed being there when friends where staying there and also some people from this board a few days after our friends left. We arranged to have wine sent to their rooms which we paid for when we got there a couple of weeks later. I am sure they will help out with the birthday cake. With a little luck Jose will be working and can play his guitar and sing Feliz Cumpleanos (Happy Birthday) for her. He does a lovely job with it. We have been many times and have seen at least a couple of birthdays for people.

There are some day trips that might be nice. One is a boat ride to the new Wildlife Santuary. You might want to ask about this ahead of time to be sure you have a reservation. This could possibly be combined with a nice boat tour of the Gulfo Dulce shoreline.

They do have double kayaks for the mangrove tour which is very slow and easy. Your sister could just go along for the ride without paddling. The second part of the tour does take you out into the Gulfo Dulce which can be a lot rougher. I have never seen anyone tip over in those sea kayaks there but I am sure it is possible. I have done that trip several times. If you let them know ahead of time you might be able to just head back the way you went after the fresh fruit snack on a beautiful beach rather than heading out into the actual Gulfo Dulce.

The hike down to the Gulfo Dulce is quite long and hot. It can also be a little tricky towards the bottom. You will see lots of monkeys along the way and possibly even a boa. We got stopped one time by a huge army ant column. You dont' want to walk through one of those. It ended up being a wonderful treat for us because we are birders. Nothing like army ants to stir up the local beetle, etc population which in turn brings some beautiful birds.

You can, for a small fee, get a ride both down and back to the Gulfo Dulce beach. They will pack a picnic lunch for you as well if you want to go down for the day.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Good options. I will email this thread to my niece and together we will put together a special day. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM

When mentioning the kayak tour, I neglected to mention that it was with Escondido Trex in Puerto Jimenez.

Another option might be to swim with the Dolphins. She probably won't be able to swim but might enjoy seeing the rest of you do it. We frequently run into pods of them.

This is whale time down there as well and you might see one off the point there while at Bosque. At times they are even seen in the Gulfo Dulce. We saw one come up twice.