Group of Tween Girls for a meal in Chicago...please don't recommend AG Cafe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be at Navy Pier next weekend with a group of 15 girls and a parent(s). Any suggestions on a restaurant that is a close cab ride away? I'd apprecaite any suggestions for unique places....and probably to be safe, something that offers burgers. Pizza would be okay - but seems like a challenge to sometimes order that with a big group. We'd probably eat late-afternoon to avoid the inevitable crowds on a Saturday night.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
JJ5

I don't know how many parents to girls ratio you have, so I don't know if it is easy for the group to do this with the wander factor, but their is a food court in Water Tower that is fabulous for something like this.

Do not compare this to a normal mall food court. The food is better, yet the lines to get it are similar- but that's all that is. And then you all sit down with your own type of food. But the choices are tops and some are quite "different" and some are the regular kid favorites.

You never have the "what does everyone like to eat" factor in this one.

I've done it with about 9 people and nearly half were kids and everyone was happy with what they got. And it is not top end expensive either.

Riva in Navy Pier, is the only place IN Navy Pier that I would go to for lunch. That would work.

Water Tower Place or something like Grand Lux, altough it is a tourist spot- would be short distance- not uninteresting to walk to either of them either.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM

blueslipper, are you mentioning burgers and pizza because there is a tight budget involved? If so, please keep in mind that with a party that large, you won't be able to just show up at the door but will have to have reservations. And there will probably be a 17-20% gratuity automatically tacked onto the bill at any sit-down, non-fastfood restaurant.

Of course, you could always look at something different from burgers and pizza, such as Italian beef sandwiches or Chicago-style hot dogs. Close by is Portillo's (100 W. Ontario).

You might consider:

Heaven on Seven (Ohio at Rush) for Cajun/Creole. There are some sampler platters which would easily feed a number of the group. And they do have a cajun hamburger and a cheeseburger on the menu, just in case you have unadventurous souls. But definitely get the gumbo.

India House (Grand/between Clark & Dearborn). They have luncheon buffets 11 am - 3 pm on weekends. Go to their website at Indiahousechicago and you can download their huge menu for review.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Awesome ideas....thank you! I only said the burgers & pizza because that might appeal more to the kids. Personally - I would like to enjoy some of the great Chicago eats - and love options! Yes - totally understand about not being able to be seated by showing up with such a large group. I knew I'd hear some good ideas in this forum. Thanks again!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Riva in Navy Pier is very, very good...but it's pretty upscale seafood and probably not a good choice for the group. I second what JJ5 says...the place called Foodlife in the Water Tower is a GREAT place for all ages. My kids always beg to go there because of the quality and diversity of food.I can gret fresh pad thai to taste, others get stir fry, there's pizza, pasta, hamburgers, salads...etc. It's a festive spot, too. Maggiano's would also be fun for a big group...pretty basic Italian, big portions, fun atmosphere.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I second the Water Tower Food Court. I took a busload of kids/adults there and everyone was happy. It was definitely the simplest solution. And since it wasn't our local mall fast food choices, everyone felt like it was a little eating adventure.

Have a great time in Chicago!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM

When I took my daughter to Chicago (to go to the AG store) we dined at Bistro 110 at the suggestion of the hotel and we loved it.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Ed Dubevics is a fun spot (old fashioned diner style, singing/dancing wait staff. I think it would be a short cab ride or not too bad of a walk. Havent been to Chicago in a few years so maybe someone can confirm that its still there, still decent. Ahe chicago pizza places would be good for a crowd. What kids dont like pizza. And for that one, I'm sure you could get a sub or burger.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM

There also is a regular, sit-down type of restaurant in the Water Tower - Mighty Nice Grill, I think it's called. It's similar to TGIFriday's -- a little nicer,but very suitable for that age group.

You probabaly will finish more quickly with the food court though -and the choices are excellent.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Love several of the restaurants you have mentioned. I think the food court at Water Tower (or Mighty Fine Grill) will be great options for our group. The indoor mall aspect is nice, too....given the frigid temps we're "enjoying" this year. Thanks again everyone!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM

blueslipper, both foodlife (the food court at Water Tower Place) and Mity Nice Grill are Lettuce Entertain You Enterprise, Inc. (LEYE) restaurants.

Just a suggestion that you might wish to check the menu prices for Mity Nice Grill first. foodlife might/will probably be slightly less (depending on what each person gets, of course).

Also a LEYE restaurant, over at the 900 N. Michigan (Bloomingdales) building, is Frankie's 5th Floor Pizzeria.