Chicago Restaurant with Toddler

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Restaurant with Toddler

Greetings,

We leave Sunday for Chicago and I am looking for some recommendations for eating with my 18 month old. I already know of the Rainforest and ed debevics but I am looking for something a little less touristy, but would still be the kind of place where its ok if a few crumbs hit the floor. Where do Chicagoans eat with their toddlers?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:45 AM

I assume you are looking in the North Michigan Avenue and downtown areas. Look for
Tempo Restaurant on Chestnut - neighborhood place, open 24 hours
Oak Tree in 900 N. Michigan Avenue building
Food Court at Water Tower Place
Corner Bakeries everywhere!
Berghoff has a nice children's menu, and it certainly isn't stuffy.
If you are bringing toddler food with you, try a Thai or Chinese restaurant.

Frankly, I think Rainforest might bother some toddlers, and Ed Debevic's can also be loud. Their food is nothing special.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:07 AM

If you want to head up to Lincoln Park, John's Place is a great kid-friendly restaurant. You will really get a feel for the neighborhood. A favorite for the buggy brigades! Located on Webster & Racine.
Also, Wishbone is amazing to kids, and has great food, esp. breakfast (Lincoln Ave and School, as well as the original location right by Oprah's studio.) Both are casual, and true local's spots!

I also second all of patg's suggestions, and agree to avoid Ed Debevics and Rain Forest...very touristy!

If you visit metromix.com, they have wonderful recommendations for dining with kids.

Hopefully, you will have some nice weather. Have a great time and let us know when you return where you went!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Kristi, as usual, offers terrific ideas. Also, it's going to be nicer weather (allegedly) and more than half of the restaurants downtown have outdoor seating. Nothing wrong with spilt milk on concrete. Also, if you eat at Tempo, make certain to request seats further away from the smoking section. The A/C blows around pretty strongly indoors and might bother your little one.

Have a wonderful visit!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:47 AM

The garden (front) room at Bistro 110 is a nonchain alternative. Because of its acoustics, Bistro 110 is always loud anyway, so the noises of a toddler shouldn't bug anyone and the crumbs on the floor shouldn't be an issue either--everytime I've been there, someone has knocked over a glass of wine or dropped a plate, etc., and no one bats an eyelash.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Forgot to note that you should go early, so you'll be dining with shoppers mostly. The dating and business dinner crowd come in later.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I am getting excited. I'll let you know how we did when we get back.