Great restaurants in Hilton Head?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going down to Hilton Head for a long R&R weekend in mid-March. While there, we want to hit a variety of restaurants (casual, fine, seafood etc...). Any suggestions for a few of the best? (Yes, we will have a rental car.)
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I ate at the Crazy Crab earlier this month and really liked it--the she crab soup was SO good!! It's the one inside Harbor Town, near the lighthouse. There is another one along the main highway coming into Hilton Head, but we heard it's not as good. Oh, this is a casual place.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Look for a little family owned restaurnat called - La Familia. It is an Italian place. You can linger in there as long as you like. It is very small so get there early. Everything we ordered was great!!!
Also, they make homemade Limoncello. They give it to those customers they "like"- complimentary!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:22 AM

ok, this may not help you much because i am not certain of the actual names of the restaurants however, in the shopping plaza by Marley's -which my husband and I like alot -they are kid friendly but also have really good food.
anyway, in that shopping plaza there is a reataurant that also has a wine bar in it this place has been recommened to me by 2 different realtors that live on the island as well as by the property manager where we have a condo. we have never been there b/c its not kid friendly and we have never been there without our son.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM

attyin99,

This is always such a subjective thing -- what one person thinks is the best may be totally unacceptable to another, but I will tell you of 3 restaurants that are the top on my list:
1. Sea Grass Grill - in Plantation Center at the entrance to Palmetto Dunes (mid-island).
2. Redfish - on Palmetto Bay Road, about a half mile from Sea Pines Circle.
3. The Jazz Corner - in The Village of Wexford. Great music, great food. A nice way to spend a Friday or Saturday night.
After your trip, please post a trip report and tell us which restaurants you did visit, and how you liked them.
(Oh, I'm not sensitive, if you go to either of the 3 above and don't like them, please, report that)
Oh, and 1 more thing, all 3 restaurants fill up pretty fast, so you may want to make reservations in advance. All 3 have websites, which may help you decide, and will give you phone numbers.

Enjoy!!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:36 PM

Red Fish, great food and atmosphere..try their "dirty blue" martini...wow..
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Since you asked for a variety. Consider the Lands End in the South Beach area of Sea Pines.It has great seafood, reasonable prices, and in an extemely relaxed informal setting. If you are not staying in Sea Pines add a walk on the nearby beach and a visit to Harbourtown.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM

We were recently blown away by Micheal Anthony's on New Orleans Rd. Everything was top notch - the food, the atmosphere, and the service couldn't have been more accomodating. It's Northern Italian, which may not be what you're looking for in a beach restaurant, but boy, was it good.

Also sampled CQ's in Sea Pines - great atmosphere, friendly people, but the chef seems to over salt and over season (I'm assuming due to the less sensitive taste buds of it's older clientele). But after we asked for our second course to hold the salt, all was good. Great wine list too.

Had lunch at Sea Grass - was not impressed, but it may be much different at dinner.

Marley's has good happy hour specials for food, and we were surprised how good it was. We would return for a more casual dinner. They have very good ice cream at a separate stand, but I don't know if it will be open by March.

Check out www.sallys-place.com for reviews of most of the islands restaurants.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

I believe it is Marlye's Island Grille - we liked it a lot as well.

Neno Il Toscano has very good italian food (avoid Little Venice at all costs!).

We really like Smokehouse for BBQ - especially the pulled pork. You can get it in bulk for carryout.

Kenny B's New Orleans Cafe has a cheap, casual Sunday Brunch. Sinfully delicious.

We've only eaten at the Crazy Crab on the highway on the way into the island - have always heard the one is Sea Pines is very touristy and crowded (and you have to pay to enter Sea Pines). The food there has always been very good, and there are nice aquariums and a view of the water.

Other favorites include Redfish (probably our favorite high end spot as we can't do anything fancier w/our little ones) and Old Oyster Factory.

Nice Greek spot for takeout called "It's Greek to Me" next to Blockbuster. Huge portions - good mousakka and pastries.

Now I'm hungry!!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM

The place liasun is talking about is in the plaza where Harris Teeter & Marley's are. It's 211 Park Bistro I think - all the way at the end of the plaza, back near the movie theater. It is good. We always enjoy it.
I agree with the others that Marley's is good as well as Redfish and Kenny B's. I liked lunch better than brunch at Kenny B's, but both were good. Signe's Cafe is a little hard to find (off Arrow Rd near the toll road), but has great lunch things like quiche and fabulous baked goods.
I really like Truffles - they have good bread with herbed butter. We always enjoy lunch at Market St Cafe (great pitas) in Coligny Plaza or Plantation Deli, which is near Coligny.
For a great steak (prime beef), try Crane's Tavern.
You can also pick up a restaurant book at most places. The best one is full size and lists menus in it. I hope you get this before you leave!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned the Old Oyster Factory. It has every type of oyster fixed every possible way - their Caesar Salad w/ Fried oysters is to die for! They are always packed but do not take reservations. Go sit on the deck and listen to some live music while you wait for your table - good boat drinks! It's at 101 Marshland Road on Broad Creek. 681-6040. This was so good we ate there 3 times during our week's stay.