Search

Hilton Head Dining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head Dining

We've been to Hilton Head before but not for a couple of years and would love some restaurant recommendations (and places to stay away from if there are any!). Will be traveling with two small children who are well behaved but probably not appropriate for a really high end fancy spot. We love all types of food but tend to stay away from chain restaurants when we travel - more fun to try the local spots! Any suggestions?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:47 AM

One place we went to on a recommendation was Truffles. It is near Harbor Town in the Sea Island Plantation, but not actually at Harbor Town. It is nice, somewhat upscale, but was very kid friendly (believe me, we had a 1 yr old and an 18 mo old in tow). Delicious fish.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Here is a wonderful resourse - written by a local:

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/din...ilton_head.htm
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Truffles sounds great - I'm landlocked in Ohio and not very good at cooking fish anyway so I love to eat it when we go out. I remember using Sally's website last time we went to Hilton Head and it was great - thanks for the reminder!!!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:46 AM

My children love Crazy Crab . Good low country seafood and very interesting decor, overlooking Harbortown. Climb the lighthouse while you're there and buy them an ice cream cone at Scoops, near the base. Afterwards, take in the show under the Liberty Oak by musician Greg Russell, a local institution.

Going Saturday. Will let you know if anything more is worth reporting.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Oh yeah, there was another place we ate, the Old Oyster Factory, or something like that. It was good, but crowded at prime kiddie time (6 pm or so). However, they have a deck on the back with live music.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

We love Old Oyster Factory. Last night I asked dh if there was any place we went last time we went to Hilton Head that he definitely wanted to go back to and that was the one place!! Well, smokehouse bbq too, but that's a given w/us!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM

You have heard about the best for your details but consider adding a third - the Land's End Reataurant in the South Beach section of Sea Pines. Informal, slower pace, reasonable prices, right on the actual docks and outdoor entertainment on the adjoining
deck.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM

The last time we were at Hilton Head we ate at a decidedly un-upscale place---I think it was called Al's? From the outside it looked like a dive, must have been leftover from before the developers came. The building looks like part of an old motel. But the food was great! It was true, Low-country food like someone's grandma cooked. Not the fancy stuff that the Food channel talks about. Some friends told us they think it has closed. Does anybody know if it is still there? We are going to HH in September.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Sunset Grille? One description I read indicated it has great food but is also fairly casual and might be okay for kids.

We're also considering doing a 2 hour Dolphin Watch/Nature Cruise with Adventure Cruises (they leave from Shelter Cove). Has anyone done this?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:36 AM

Please treat this as highly confidential (kinda kidding) but if you consider dinner in the South Beach section of Sea Pines, you can easily walk to the Dolphin watching for free. From the South Beach parking lot, walk west (away from the Sea Pines gate)for an easy 1-2 blocks and walk to the beach/Sound thru an opening in the trees on the left. At 2-3 hours after hi tide, there will be as many dolphins as you can count within feet of the shore. See my earlier message for a rest. in SB but be aware that there are 2-3 other choices. Enjoy
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM

Snowrooster,

I hate to give you old info, but if it's incorrect, perhaps some wiser fodorite can correct this.

We ate Sunset Grille about 5 years ago and loved it. It is (at least was) very casual, I think kids would be fine. Food was surprisingly inventive, and the sunset view was nice (although you are looking somewhat at the bridge that links to the mainland as well as the inlet/marsh).

Also, in Shelter Cove you'll find a casual Mexican restaurant--San Miguel's. Food is fairly average, but it has great deck seating with views of the incredible boats docked in the harbor. In season, they have a band or solo guitarist, so it's a lot of fun.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:08 AM

South Beach is overrun with Salty Dog, a bar whose owners struck it big selling t-shirts by posing a dog w/ kerchief. Least exclusive t-shirt in the free world. Now operate eateries on the average side. At the marina you may wish to try the Land's End Tavern/Restaurant which has thrived for 20+ years.
The information of cheapbutnice on the dolphins is correct. They overnight in the marshes and creeks behind south beach, e.g. Broad Creek and Calibogue Sound. Sightings are very common. We saw several dolphins leaping out of the water just outside Sea Pines one evening last week. Nice thing about viewing from boat: the dolphins often play/race with boats, and, you're virtually on top of them. Also saw them up close in Broad Creek-- side of Harbortown lighthouse.
We returned to the Crazy Crab, but the "creek location" on 278, the main highway. Great marsh views. Still very good, after 20 years. Also tried Sticky Fingers, Palmetto Bay Road, a barbecue place. Recommend you skip it. Dry and overly sweet sauce.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM

We've just returned from Hilton Head and found a neat, out of the way restaurant called the Sea Shack. Off Pope, roughly behind Hofbrau House. Looks like a sea shack, not fancy by any means, very good seafood, very reasonable prices. No china..paper plates...but that's ok because it is what it is and that is just plain good food! We'll go back every time we're on the island.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Ohio - I'm interested in Sea Shack - someone else mentioned it in another post. Can you get a bucket/big plate of fresh steamed crabs/shrimp? I'm looking for a quintesential "crab shack" without having to drive to Tybee Island. I'm in Ohio myself (Cincinnati) and you know how hard it can be to get fresh seafood in the midwest!!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM

I'll second the choice for the Sunset Grille, it was great food and not your every day menu, casual, and we saw the best sunset...We were there last year and it was our favorite, besides the Crab Shack on Tybee Island. Also we ate at a Italian place which was wonderful, I want to say it was Michaeangelo's sp?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Are there any innovative restaurants (not just your standard chicken, steak, fish, but restaurants with accomplished chefs) on Hilton Head that would also be okay for small children?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Cafe Europa, Sea Pines, Harbortown. Well regarded by Wine Spectator, among others.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM

We had a great time at a place called Steamers- grab a bucket of cold beer & a bucket of steamed shrimp & crawdads
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:04 AM

New since your visit, Marley's. On the east side of the Sea Pines gate traffic circle. Casual, caribbean atmosphere with an ice cream counter for after dinner with the kids. Good food and a fun setting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -