Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Great Rate From Contintental-How Can There Be So Much Difference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:01 PM
don

I just booked two airline tickets for next April, from Louisville Ky to San Francisco. I got them on-line from Continental Airlines at a rate of $311(for both). Is that not incredible? Delta wanted $521 per ticket. How can there be so much difference?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:21 PM
joanie

Sound like a great price to me. Flying from the midwest, I can't remember the last time that I was able to travel to the west coast for under $200 a person.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:29 PM
joesorce

Sounds like a glitch in the system, they don't have "sales" this far in advance.

Let's hope they don't read Fodors and fix the glitch, maybe some other people can take advantage of this before they do.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:18 AM
don

I don't know if it was a glitch or not. After all, I started on Hotwire which gave me a price of $160 per person. From there I went to their "partner" Orbitz who was offering near prices on Continental Airlines. So from there, I went to Continental's website where I got the $311 price. The only problem was that I was thinking of flying into Reno and returning from San Francisco, but the price it gave me for that ticket was around $640. So I guess I will just fly into San Francisco, and have a bit of a longer drive goind to Lake Tahoe.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:10 AM
James

Continental has been aggressive on pricing recently. Don't knock it...just buy!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:17 AM
jbj

You got a lucky break. Hope you locked in the fare and purchased.

Funny part is that you're flying from Louisville to Cleveland (probably), then on to San Francisco. But if you try to purchase a ticket just for the Cleveland to San Francisco leg, you'd be paying 3 times as much.

This is part of the reason the airlines are going bankrupt, you see it all the time. You are occupying a seat on two different flights, but they're charging you less than someone who's occupying a seat on just one of those same flights.

Creative mathematics I guess.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Gretchen

The Cleveland-San Fran thing is the price you pay for being in a "hub" city.The fares are always higher. That is one of Continental's hubs.