Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central Texas-How do you find the cheapest airfare to Europe?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM
wch

Hello,

I live in Austin, Texas and I usually try to fly out of Houston (IAH) to get to Europe.

I've been reading some of the posts on this newsgroup and people are getting much better deals to Europe from further away, like San Francisco and Seattle, than the deals I am getting out of Houston and Dallas (I don't even bother trying to fly out of Austin). For instance, anywhere from $450-$680 from San Francisco to Paris. Houston to Paris has been running about $800 since mid-April. Where can I find great deals out of central Texas?

I do searches on several airline web sites and I use Orbitz , Smarter Living, cheaptickets.com, etc. I change my dates and times and try to be as flexible as possible although I do try to limit my plane changes to one. What am I doing wrong? Where am I not looking? Am I looking at the wrong time? Help!

I'd especially like to hear from any fellow Central Texans about the deals they have gotten, when they got them, and from where.

Thanks,
Windy

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:00 PM
kay

Have you tried the Southwest two-step? Choose an eastern gateway that is also a Southwest destination and buy two separate round trips, Texas-gateway and gateway-Europe? More hassle, of course.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Duke

Do like I did. Move from Texas to San Francisco. Cooler weather and you don't need to leave as much. When you do, it's cheaper.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:13 PM
jeanne

Windy: I live in a Southeastern city and I found the same thing.I finally booked for $835, one stop. A friend in Pittsburgh is flying at the same time and paid $570. Go figger.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:22 AM
wch

Duke,

While I do like San Francisco, wouldn't the much higher cost of living offset any savings on air fare?

Windy

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:55 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Sancho

Here in San Antonio it's the same situation. The fares are mostly determined by market forces - i.e., more demand = higher prices. The fares from the West Coast are surrently pretty low because of low volume in those markets. It may actually be cheaper to fly to LAX, SFO or Phoenix as your US departure, but don't forget to figure in the added time and fatigue. If it's not the difference between making the trip or not, I usually pay the extra bucks to keep it as simple.
Another option is to try things like pricline or hotwire, but remember you are essentially buying off the clearance rack witha no-return policy, may not get FF points.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:31 AM
DallasP

Consider flying American out of Dallas. Try Air France/Continental to CDG out of Houston. Also, right now check out www.smarterliving.com and they have some rates in the 700s from Austin to London (Gatwick) also try www.economytravel.com which I used for a flight into Rome and out of Venice and got a $800 rate for late summer.