Need advice from frequent Hawaii travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to return to Honolulu in July 2004 for a family reunion. The best airfare I have found is on Aloha for $1034.00 for my husband and myself (that total is for both of us not just one ticket). I researched Hawaiian Air, United, American, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets. This was the lowest fare I found. (I did find a slightly lower fare on Sun Trips but would prefer not to travel with them again if possible.)

Is this a decent fare for the month of July? Are the fares likely to decrease in the next several months? Don't want to shoot myself in the foot and pass this price up only to find the fares increasing!

Thanks for any advice.

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Where are flying from? $500 for a round trip ticket is a good price as long as you're not flying from the west coast.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Did you price airfare only on Pleasantholidays.com? Classiccustomvacations.com also has excellent airfare but you must book lodging with them. We were able to fly 4th of Julu for $400 when every other website was $700.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about that. We would be flying out of either San Francisco or Oakland (Oakland with Aloha).

I checked Pleasant Holidays web site today but they apparently want you to either call them (which I'll try) or see a TA (the last thing I want to do). We have lodging so can't use the other site you suggested.

Thank you both for responding. Guess I'll just have to keep looking and hope for more suggestions here.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM

You could also try ata.com. They have fairly decent prices. Noticed they had a parking special for San Francisco now too, in case you need to park at the airport.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's high for Honolulu, fair for Maui.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Kal

Alohaaa Gio,

I only go once a year. That's not frequent enough!
Since it appears that you're in the No Cal area, have you tried Hawaiian Air out of Sacramento (SMF)

If I recall correctly, we paid a little more than that for our Dec/Jan trip (and it included a rental car of 20 days) and it was during a bit of the "hi season".

If you're flexible, physically and schedule wise, have you considered trying Priceline or Hotwire?

Good luck and Ciao bella!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:17 PM

I always try to plan my trips as far in advance as possible, so I track the airfares.

First, give yourself a deadline for ordering the tickets. I generally set the deadline for a month before my trip.

Second, tell Travelocity (Farewatcher) and Expedia (Favorite Destinations) to send you email when the price drops.

Book carefully but quickly.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM

You're trying to book too early.
Sale fares (assuming they appear) won't be issued for several more weeks yet.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Summer fares on the major airlines to/from Hawaii and the West Coast will cost $450-500. Yes, there may be sales but two years ago, I paid $700 for a roundtrip from SFO in July. BTW, Aloha is a great way to get to Hawaii.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Weekends are higher. so are holidays like July 4th week.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! You guys are great.

tigger - I forgot to mention ATA. I did check with them and since they are a no frills, usually inexpensive carrier I was surprised that the fares were right up there with the highest.

Kal - Sacramento is about an hours drive from here and since we have three airports nearby (SFO, OAK, San Jose) would naturally prefer to depart closer to home. Hotwire might work as it would be pretty straightforward regardless which carrier. Wouldn't use them for Europe but Hawaii might work. We aren't "flexible" because we are going for a specific occasion with dates set. Aloha & ciao back to you!

mahoney - Good advice. I'll set up e-mail from Travelocity and Expedia for lower fares.

travleis - I'll keep watching. Guess I'm a worry wart and when planning our trips like to get air and hotel (not needed for this trip) reserved well in advance.

Wayne - Don't want to end up paying more than $500/ea. so won't delay too long before getting booked. I think we have flown Aloha on previous trips. I know we have used them interisland and were satisfied with the service. Really like the idea of flying out of Oakland as we live in the East Bay.

Deloris - We will be flying on Mondays and after the 4th of July.

Again thanks to all of you.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I just got tickets from Aloha Airlines from Oakland to Maui in mid June for $432.00 each. I took them. I got in on on one end of the flight for a cheap airfare but had to pay more for way home. In calling them they offer a discount if you are a AAA member so mention that. I just kept looking, like you I like flying out of Oakland.

Good Luck
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Hi Giovanna,

I usually pay what you are seeing from New York. I am usually buying two tickets one from NYC to SFC or Lax and One ticket directly to Kauai. Last year I think I went directly to HNL from NYC for 600 and change maybe $652. That was unusual though. Thing is I don't see the faires going down after march in the past 4 years I have gone. Just this past year. I always keep checking. I would say book by the end of march. You should be able to go for 800 from SF. these things change all the time though and certainly in this very sluggish economy we are having. Last years trend might continue.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Kal

Gio,
I mentioned flexible because you probably can get the exact dates you want but it could be a different, off peak departure/arrival time.

For trips over June/July, out TA always told us to wait after Easter for the specials to come around.

Alohhaaaaaa,
Kal
319!