Layover for 7 hrs in San Francisco...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are on our way to Hawaii on July 4 and stopping in San Fran for about 7 hrs, then coming back we have about 12 hrs. Should we attempt to sight-see or is there just not enough time?? Never been there before, but would love to at least ride a trolley!Would
have no idea how to get to the wharf?? We have 3 kids(11,14,16) in tow...Ha! They would say they were towing me and the Hubby!
Opinions???
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a few things you could do - but before we can make useful suggestions -- what times do you land/take off? The time of day of your layovers make a difference re what is/isn't possible.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I don't know if you can do it in 7 hours, but to ride... you meant cable car? or the F trolley? you can catch both at the Powell BART station.

BART is a light rail system going from SFO to the city and beyond.

Both Cable car and the F trolley will take you to the Wharf area. Just don't miss your ride back on time, the city is very addictive
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

We are landing in San Fran on July 4th at 8:00 am and have to leave at 3:15 pm to go to Hawaii. Then on the way back from Hawaii, we get into San Fran
at 7:00 am and don't leave back to Denver until 8:00 pm. It is kind of scary to leave the airport(don't want to miss flights)but it would be crazy not to at least see San Fran. Any ideas would be great!!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM

Hi Mountain Girl, Faina has given you some good information. May I suggest that you check out the SF visitors website also. It is www.onlyinsanfransico.com I think that this will help you with your time in SF. The transportation link should be of assistance to you. Enjoy your time in SF and also in Hawaii!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your outgoing flight is a problem because you will be arriving in the city in the middle of a very hectic cummute rush, and you only have a short time.

I might stick around SFO for a while. Have Breakfast, relax until about 9:30 or so. Then take BART into the city. I'd head for the ferry bldg and then wander along the embarcadero. Have and early lunch/ drinks on the water and see the Bay/Bay bridge/shops/farmers market etc. Then catch BART (or a cab) back to SFO around 1:00/1:30

Your return flight is much easier since you have so long to play w/ You basically have an entire day so you could do quite a lot.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM

If it was me I would get out of SFO as soon as I could, take BART to SF and have a late breakfast, a brunch or lunch in SF. I am not a fan of SFO if the truth be known. But that is just my thinking.