Public transportation San Jose to San Francisco help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public transportation San Jose to San Francisco help needed

Hi,
I need to get from San Jose to Pier 27, The Embarcadero, in San Francisco using public transportation. Mon - Fri x 2 wks. Have to be there by about 8:30am...maybe earlier, not sure yet.
I know I take CalTrain to the end in SF but what then?
Also, what type tickets will I need & where do I get them? Yes, I am transportation challenged!
Any expert commuters out there?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Amtrak does not help since the first bus of the day arrives from Emeryville at 0850 at Fisherman's Wharf. Using the Capitol Corridor train and the bus from Emeryville takes about 2 hours 20 minutes and the fare is $21.
Can't you find a cheap place to stay in SF or is there something that needs to be done daily in San Jose?
I don't know your other early morning options, but someone who lives there can tell you.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What does the Capitol Corridor/Emeryville have to do w/ anything? The OP is traveling up from San Jose into the city. One wouldn't take the Cap. Corridor from SJ to SF.

I don't know the CalTrain / SF transport connections -- hopefully one of our SF commuters will see your thread.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM

The street car stops by the CalTrans station and goes down to the Embarcadero until Market St. If there is a need to go farther along the Embarcadero, you can catch the F line that goes down Market and then follows the Embardadero to Fisherman's wharf.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM

First, which "San Jose" Caltrain station are you using?

There are different schedules:

http://www.caltrain.com/schedules.html

There are "fast" trains during certain times that do not stop at certain stations.

At the other end, you should go to the very last stop in San Francisco, which is at 4th and Townsend.

Here's a trip planner for the San Francisco transit system:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mroutes/tripplan.htm

You should probably input "4th and Townsend" at one end and "Pier 27" at the other end.

Also here's a map of the entire transit system. It appears there's a #10 (purple line) that starts out near the 4th and Townsend Caltrain station, goes crosstown and then travels along a short portion of the Embarcadero right before Pier 27.

http://transit.511.org/static/provid...2007102947.gif

On the transit map, Pier 27 is that sort of triangle just above the words "The Embarcadero".

Hope this helps a bit in your planning.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM

>>

It's the very last stop altogether, but it's the first (and only) stop in San Francisco.

When you get off the train, walk with the crowd toward the exit - turn right and cross the street to the streetcar platform. It's the last stop for the streetcar too so you can only go in one direction. You get your ticket at a machine as you exit the Cal-Train station (I think there's also a machine on the streetcar platform). You have to have the ticket before you board, but you don't show it to anyone unless they do a spot check. You don't want to get caught without a ticket, however.

Take the streetcar four stops to the Embarcadero Station (that's at the foot of Market Street, where, as Michael said, it turns). Go upstairs and turn so you are facing the Ferry Building. Walk toward the Ferry Building (one block, alongside the Hyatt Regency Hotel). Cross the Embarcadero to the middle (in other words, cross the southbound traffic, but stop before the northbound traffic). That is where you will board the F train toward Fisherman's Wharf. You do not need a second ticket for the F -- just keep the one you get for the streetcar.

Since you will be doing this for two weeks solid, there might be a weekly or monthly Muni pass you can so you don't have to deal with purchasing a ticket every morning.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Actually there is another San Francisco stop before 4th and Townsend. It's at 22nd Street and will also say "San Francisco".

However, just remember to take Caltrain to the very end and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM

God no wonder posters come once and never come back.

This is NOT as complicated as it sounds.]

Once you know your times etc go to

www.511.org and [plug in times, how much walking you want to do etc.

YOu want to leave on CALTrain from either Diridon or Tamien stations - the other san jose stations don't have trains that will get you to SF by 8:30.

If you are doing regular commute hours, there is an 82X bus from the train station in SF at 4th and Townsend to near to Pier 27.

CalTrain as of Feb 1 will NoT sell 8 ride tickets except on Clipper Cards - a transit card you preload with $$ - https://www.clippercard.com/ will tell you where to get the card.Once oyu have it and add $$ you can use it on caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco)

If you have some extra $$ you might consider taking the train to 4th and Townsend and a cab to work.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM

Sorry to have to point this out, but actually there are more than just the Diridon or Tamien stations in San Jose:

http://www.caltrain.com/stations.html

There's also the Santa Clara station which might be closer for the OP.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
TAW
Original Poster

WOW! Thank you for all the help!
I will be starting at the train station in downtown SJ near the arena...Diridon.

Thanks again. I think I'll be OK now.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM

easytraveler - not to beat a dead horse as the OP has the info BUT - the other SJ stations DO NOT have schedules that would allow the OP to get to SF by 8:30. THAT is why I mentioned Tamien and Diridon.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM

mztery: no problem.

I thought we were both doing the same thing.

Not knowing where the OP was starting from, I posted the train schedule so that the OP could see which stations would get him/her into SF by 8:30 and which would not.

But I wasn't as clear as you were, so it's good you made the clarification.