Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Great Places for BBQ and other good/fun restaurants in Nashville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:24 AM
RL

Want a great BBQ place in Nashville. Any suggestions? How about any type of fun restaurants in the area, BBQ or otherwise? Thanks for your input!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM
RL

I'm goning to bump this in hopes of getting a few responses. Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Ted

Sitting outdoors at RIO BRAVO on West End Avenue is great when the weather cooperates.

Also for delicious no-frills Mexican food, the ever-popular SATCO on 21st Ave across from Vandy can't be beat. Get a bucket of Corona and enjoy!

And there are several high-energy restaurants along Second Avenue in the downtown "district."

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Merilee

I have a relative who moved to Nashville a couple of years ago and these are the suggestions I received...The Bludbird Cafe, Tootsie's, Wild Boar, and Cock of the Walk.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Sooz

Whitt's has several locations and often wins awards for best barbecue. Also, Famous Dave's for ribs in Hermitage and Bar-b-cutie in Donelson, very close to Nashville.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Ted

Regarding Merilee's relative's suggestions, Wild Boar is the most expensive restaurant in Nashville - definitely not what you're looking for. The Bluebird is known for showcasing up-and-coming country music talent; I wasn't aware they served food. Could be worth checking out if you like that type of music.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:41 PM
RB

There's been a couple of good posts on Nashville restaurant options over on www.chowhound.com board. Check them out.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Big Red

For BBQ - Any honkytonk along the lower portion of Broadway. The above mentioned Bar-b-cutie is also good. If you are not from TN, I would HIGHLY suggest Calhoun's. There are 2 locations in Nashville...my favorite is at Rivergate/Goodlettsville. Some of the best ribs and pulled pork around.

The above mentioned SATCO (San Antonio Taco Co.) is near Vanderbilt and is also really good for Mexican.

For breakfast, it's always the Loveless Cafe.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:08 AM
musiccityman

RL,

There are a couple of good BBQ places downtown on Broadway. One is called Rippy's - the other is called Jack's. There is an even better BBQ a few miles straight down West End Avenue from downtown called Hog Heaven. It is right next to Centennial Park so if the weather is good you can take your food into the park and eat on one of the many picnic tables.

As far as fun restaurants go - I highly recommend South Street near the Vandy campus - the sides roll up so that is an open air type place. Next door to it I highly recommend the upstairs bar at the Boundr'y as a place to hang out and do some people watching.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:48 AM
ss

YES! SOuth Street is Very Good.

They have a website on the nashville.citysearch.com site

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:29 AM
nnNN

Boom boom room

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:38 AM
ttt

ttt.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:30 PM
ledbetter

The Bar-b-Cutie is fairly widely acknowledged here in Nashville to be the champ. But there are quite a few places you can get good barbecue. Unfortunately the best places in are very unsafe parts of town. Bar-b-Cutie is not centrally located, but there are no good places for BBQ downtown anyway.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Mary

One would expect to find great BBQ in Nashville, but there really isn't one specific place that is famous (like in Memphis). What we do have is great local restaurants offering fare from great cheeseburgers (Rotier's, Brown's Diner) to more upscale restaurant's like the Sunset Grill. They have a wonderful wine list, second only to the Wild Boar. I would avoid Ted's suggestions below. Rio Bravo is analogous for very cheesy (and I am not referring to the food). SATCO is a Vandy hangout...and not a real great one. The suggestion of South Street and the Boundry are also good ones. Other new nice places are Park Cafe and Mambu. Finally, walking around the Village and downtown are always fun.