Best Time to Visit

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Jamie

Best Time to Visit

My girlfriends and I want to out to N.O. for a weekend. Our schedules only allow us to go Nov/Dec/Jan. Is this a good time to go? Will there be any action since it is not during Mardi Gra or JazzFest?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Rob

I would recommend the weekend of October 25th. The community celebrates halloween that weekend with a HUGE ball that benefits one of our AIDS houses, Lazarus House. You can expect up to 8000, yes, 8000 people in costume at the ball. Weather tends to be pretty delicious from mid October thru December. Traditionally, hotels offer Papa Noel rates in December (discounts).

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:50 AM
kal

Jamie, Our first trip to NOLA was over Nov's T'giving weekend.
We didn't know it was "Battle of the Bayou" weekend.
Southern Univ v. Grambling Univ at the Super Dome. Plus, Friday night they have a "Battle of the Bands" with both Univ's marching bands. If you've never seen this, do!
But, if you do go over T'giving, book early as the rooms fill up quickly.
We hadda a blast, nonetheless. Almost Mardi Gras atmosphere. Nice weather in Nov. too.
Great city in spite of short brunettes visiting from Ohio!
Kal

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Cindy

For weather purposes, I'd suggest as early in November as you can. The summer heat is over and there isn't much of a winter evening chill yet. Don't worry about it not being a holiday time, Bourbon Street is always hoppin'!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:03 PM
J Correa

There is ALWAYS action in New Orleans. We went in May and things were very quiet by NOLA standards, but every night was a party - even Monday night the streets were crowded with people.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Nancy

Halloween is a fantastic time to visit the French Quarter. We have been three times. Even if you don't go to one of the ball's there is plenty happening on Bourbon St.

1st time we were there we didn't dress up in costumes, we felt slightly out of place (like a typical tourist).

2nd time we dressed up (a vamp & a vampire) but didn't feel comfortable taking pictures ~ they were taking pictures of us!

3rd time was the charm. We dressed as a news crew (WSEX - channel 69) that way we could take video without looking too out of place. Let me tell you, the crowd really bought into it!