Notices

Grand Canyon tours

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon tours

I am looking to book a grand canyon tour that leaves from las vegas that is good value. Can someone recommend one?
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:10 AM

Try www.actiontours.com. I've taken side trips from Vegas with this company twice, and I can't say enough about them. Have fun.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:01 AM

Just realize that NOT all the Grand Canyon tours go to the S. Rim. There are some that only go to West Rim.

Yes, there is a little known west rim and it is reached by going thought the Indian Reservation. It doesn't take as long to drive to from Las Vegas. I haven't been to the west rim, but I've seen pictures and the overlook is not the sweeping grandure of the S. or N. Rim.

Just wanted you to be aware.

Utahtea
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:02 AM

Alternate suggestion, that will save you a lot of money and give you much greater freedom.

Rent a car in Vegas. Leave for the Grand Canyon VERY early in the morning. Stay as long as you like and view what you want to, for as long as you want to. Then return to Vegas.

It will be a long day (about five hours driving EACH WAY), but will cost less and allow you to see what YOU want to (instead of what someone else wants you to see), when YOU want to, and for as long as YOU want to.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 04:51 PM

Utahtea, you are definitely the expert on the Grand Canyon and other places out west (I enjoy all your posts and wish I could visit all the places you've been). However, I just want to say that the West Rim of the GC is truly spectacular. Now, I've never been to the south or north rim (but am looking forward to it some day in the near future). But if you are visiting Vegas (and that's the main reason for your trip), but you want to take a quick jaunt to the Grand Canyon, then the West Rim is truly worth the trip. For the first time visitor to the Grand Canyon with little time, I can honestly tell you it took my breath away. I can only imagine what the South Rim would do to my senses!!! I took the day trip through the Huluapai Reservation that goes to the top of the canyon and down the road to the bottom....all in one day. Did it do the canyon justice? Of course not. A true Grand Canyon tourist would spend a few days taking in all the grandeur. Most people who visit the south rim never make it to the bottom. By taking a day long side trip from Vegas and visiting the West Rim, you can experience the GC from both aspects. How spectacular that is. My brother is an avid hiker and outdoorsman, and the GC is one of his "specialties." He was very impressed with my pix of the west rim.

Having lived in Buffalo my entire life, I've been fortunate enough to live near Niagara Falls, so I truly have an appreciation for our nation's natural wonders.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 11:20 PM

Buffalo girl,

I'm going to have to do the West Rim the next time I'm in the area. I'm not saying it's not worth seeing, just wanted people to be aware.

I've been to the Niagara Falls twice. Once when I was 11 and then almost 30 years later. It is amazing, but then next to red rock...waterfalls are my obession!

Utahtea
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. Can't book a car coz me and me mates are coming from down under (australia) and we drive on the other side of the road. Seeing that none of us have ever been to the US before, we wont be driving at all in this trip. Looked at the actiontours website. Rather pricey but it looks like that's the average going rate of grand canyon tours..guess we have to settle for that.

Thanks again for the replies. You guys are so nice!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:45 AM

sarahtor: although action tours may be pricey, I just wanted to let you know that you definitely get your money's worth. Both times we had a guide who was extremely knowledgeable and could answer any question we had. They were very professional and nice and their vehicles are new and spotless. My husband and I were so impressed that we referred several friends to them when they traveled to Las Vegas and they all came back highly pleased. If you only have one day to see the Grand Canyon, then it's nice to let someone else do the driving so that you can sit back and take in all the breathtaking scenery. I hope this helps make you feel better about spending so much $$$ for the tour!

Have a great trip. I hope you'll post again when you get back and let us know how it went.