Grand Canyon, S rim, any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going first week in Aug. Staying at the Thunderbird Lodge, for one night. We need to do this trip kind of quick and cheap. Just how it goes. Leaving from So Cal and plan to stay two nights for the whole trip. Taking 16 yo son. Any tips, suggestions on views, shuttle buses, eating (Is El Tovar worth it?), stops along the way, things go bring, things to see...I have never been. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Where are you staying the second night?

Old route 66 between Topock and Kingman will take you to Oatman, AZ and IMHO, this section of Old Route 66 is some of the best I've ever driven on.

While at the Grand Canyon ride the free shuttle bus and get out and walk along the canyon rim on your way to Hermit's Rest. If you have the time drive out to Desert View and see the different overlooks.

Utahtea
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Hopi Point is good for sunset, Mather for sunrise and/or sunset views.

Many good exhibits at the visitor centers.

Hike a (very) short distance down on Bright Angel or Kaibab if you are in decent shape, especially early in the AM.

IMAX in nearby Tusayan has an excellent large-format film on the GC (do this at night). The river running scenes are classic.

El Tovar is the best dining spot on the rim but it's hard to get a table, they reserve them for people staying at Tovar. Squire Inn (Best Western) in Tusayan has next best meals (at least in past) and is cheaper and easier to score a table than Tovar.

Bill
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Hi Heavens,

We stayed at Thunderbird two nights early June and really liked it--I hope you're able to get a room with a view of the canyon.

Because you are staying at a property inside the canyon you can make a reservation at the El Tovar one month in advance of your stay, which is what I did. Call 928-638-2631 ext. 6432. With the exception of my main course (dry fish) we really enjoyed our dinner at the El Tovar. The Arizona Room is great, too, but they do not take reservations so get there early if you can.

Hope this helps--enjoy a great trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, just changed our reservation to Kachina Lodge bc we could go three days earlier, which worked better for our schedule.

Not too sure where we are staying the second night. Might get a room off of Price line in Phoenix on the way back.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM

If you're driving down to Phoenix, then exit the park at Desert View and stop along the way to see the scenic overlooks on that day. This drive is very scenic as you exit the park. I'd also plan on taking a short detour to Sedona (just for the scenery) and also a short stop at Montezuma's Castle National Monument just north of Camp Verde, AZ.

Utahtea
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM

I believe that to really experiene the awe of the Grand Canyon you need to get IN it - you don't have to hike all the way to the river (which I wouldn't recommend doing in the summer anyway), but even a mile or so under the rim gives you amazing views.