Grand Canyon/Phantom Ranch

Dec 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon/Phantom Ranch

My brother and I would like to hike from south rim to phantom ranch sometime in the fall. We figure a day to hike down, spend a day or two at the bottom, then a day to hike out. We're not avid hikers, but are in good shape and will do some training.
How difficult is it to reserve a cabin(not dorms) at phantom ranch? (We realize we may have to wait until next year).
What suggestions for exploring the bottom of the canyon?

Thanks for the help-
GH
Dec 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM

I dont' know this for sure, but I think most cabins are reserved for the mule riders. We tried to book a cabin and was told there were none available for hikers, only mule riders. So we rode the mules and had an awesome experience!

I would call as soon as possible.

Dec 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM
TheWeasel

This thread should help with ideas for the hike.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34707226

Dec 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM

How difficult is it to reserve a cabin at Phantom Ranch? VERY. I would make that call ASAP - 888/297-2757. Karen is correct in that most cabins are reserved for mule riders. Fall is a very popular time of year to hike. I did a North rim to South rim in late Sept (years ago) when the autumn leaves were at their peak of color...all I could say was WOW!

Hey, out of curiosity, why rule out the dorms?
Dec 28th, 2005, 08:03 AM

We stayed at Phantom Ranch in October and it is an amazing experience. I came down on a mule, but they let my husband, the hiker, stay in the cabin with me. The hikers didn't seem to mind being in the dorms. Everybody shares the showers, whether it's cabins or dorms, so if privacy is your issue, you're already going to have to make some compromises. We made reservations 18 months in advance.
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:15 AM

I booked over a year in advance and got a cabin no problem. We are hikers.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM

We are hiking down in March and have dorm space reserved. I'm wondering if I need to take towels and soap for the showers or will they be available.

I'd rather not carry anything I don't have to.

Thanks
Feb 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM

As to what is provided in the dorms,

www.grandcanyonlodges.com/Phantom-Ranch-704.html

gives this ambiguous answer:

Dormitories are separate for women and men -- each has ten bunk beds, a shower, and restroom.
Phantom Ranch offers eleven unique, rustic cabins. Each is furnished with a set of bunk beds, all bedding, cold water sink, toilet, liquid soap, and towels. Showers are provided at a central location.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Towels and soap are provided at Phantom Ranch. You don't need to bring them unless you have some special considerations for soap. It's the liquid kind that most gyms have. But bring lotion! The air is dry and the soap is harsh.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks so much!
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM

We are thinking of hiking during spring break when my son is a senior in high school...three years from now. I've heard that they take reservations two years in advance, so I actually have it on my calendar to make reservations a year from now. (Yes, I'm compulsive.)
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

Just got back. Hiked down S. Kaibab and up Bright Angel. We stayed in the dorms and they were fine. At least the dorms have their own showers. The cabins have to walk to showers.

Be in very good shape, have good boots with lots of toe room, and TWO hiking poles with rubber bottoms--not pointy ski poles.

Be mentally prepared for a very tough, long hike.

This website gave more info than any other website I could find.
www.hitthetrail.com

We made our res. 18 months in advance (the day res. opened for the days we wanted). Right now, the web site says 13 months. I don't know if that number changes at different times of the year, or what. You can make your rim and Phantom Ranch res. loding res. with one number, as well as all your meal res at P.R.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM

Xanterra just changed the reservation policy for Phantom Ranch---now it's 13 months ahead. But they are in transition from the old system where they took them much further ahead, so up through May 2007 is already booked. Basically, everything is booked at the time the reservation window opens; to get something after that you must get lucky with a cancellation.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM
TheWeasel

Connie - in a couple threads now, I've seen you make a point of recommending hiking poles with rubber tips. I'm curious as to why?