Grand Canyon Trip from Ohio

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Trip from Ohio

We are in the beginning of planning a trip to Grand Canyon from Ohio. It will be my wife and I plus 2 adult (17 and 22) children. We are considering driving the whole way but would want to see the sites in between if there are any to see. How many days should we allow at the Grand Canyon. This trip could be any where from 1 to 2 weeks long.

any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM
J62

I recently spent 2 weeks in the Grand Canyon, and that was just about right... That was a full canyon commercial rafting trip, and not your average GC trip. Can't wait to go back for my next trip, which will be a 5-6 day hiking/camping trip from the North Rim to Deer creek.

I'd say a LOT depends on when you are visiting (heat/cold), and how fit/active you are.

If you only plan to visit the South Rim (or North Rim), then 2 nights there is plenty. If you plan to hike part of the way down one of the trails, then 2 nights is probably also enough.

If you ALL are very active, very fit, then you can definitely venture further down into the Canyon, but if you plan to overnight down in the canyon you must have a permit/reservation, and you can't just show up and get one when you arrive.

My ideal 1st time trip would be 4 nights. 1 on the rim, 2 down in the canyon either camping or at the Phantom Ranch cabins (requires reservation 1 yr in advance!), then last night back on the rim. I would do this trip no later than mid May, or no earlier than mid Sept due to the heat.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Our trip will need to be in June due to when my youngest gets out of school for the summer. My thoughts were the south rim for a couple of days to do some "light" hiking and sightseeing. I'm guessing based on what you are saying that 2 nights would be enough.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:22 AM
J62

I recommend you go online to www.xanterra.com right away and try to book rooms at one of the S. Rim hotels. There are 6 of them - all with a good location. High end to low end they are

El Tovar
Bright Angel
Kachina/Thunderbird

those 4 are all literally right on the rim.

Maswik/ Yavapai. Two rooms at either of these will be the best price. They are basic, utilitarian hotels, but - 1/4 to 1/2 mi from the rim, set back in the forest - still a great location.

If nothing is avaialable for the dates you want, check back periodically, or book different dates and see if you can make them work. People book 1yr in advance but there are always cancellations up until 3 days beforehand, so be persistent.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you asked about things to see on the way from Ohio, how about the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? That way the kids will remember their first crossing of the Mississippi River.
You will be going through Albuquerque so you should drive Central Avenue to see the old Route 66.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:09 PM

I'd allow two weeks for your trip; it will feel pretty rushed otherwise.

You could drive bits of Central Avenue in Albuquerque if you want, but it's not exactly scenic these days.

Acoma Pueblo, about 40 minutes west of Albuquerque, is worth visiting. http://sccc.acomaskycity.org

On your way back to Ohio, you could swing a little north and visit Arches, Canyonlands, and Mesa Verde National Parks. It will be hot, though, especially at Arches and Canyonlands, but they are all interesting parks.

Lee Ann