Savannah "quick trip" report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We left Virginia Sunday morning for Savannah where I would be looking at five hotels as possible reunion sites next year.

As we crossed into NC on I-77, I made it a point to check the sky. I wanted to see if the Carolina Blue sky (as in UNC) was any different from that in Virginia. Unfortunately the sky was cloudy over NC which made me wonder if this would have any effect on the NCAA game between North Carolina and George Mason Universities. By now you know GMU pulled the upset.

I haven't made the decision yet as to where we will hold the reunion. Too many things to be considered. If I were to go back on my own for a stay, I would be comfortable staying at the Garden Hotel or Hilton DeSoto in Savannah, or the BW Bradbury Suites or the new Holiday Inn and Suites in Pooler.

It was a toss-up for a seafood restaurant and we opted for Uncle Bubba's Oyster House.
Definitely the right decision. DW and I split a delicious dozen of raw oysters on the half shell, and then each of us filled up with a huge portions of sauteed sea scallops.

Because of the heavy rains yesterday morning, we decided to drive home after seeing the final hotel. It continued to rain as we traveled through Noth Carolina, so I was still unable to compare the blueness of the sky. I did notice though that the shrubs leafing out and the grass were George Mason green.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM

Just a comment from a recent report:

Crime and Other Urban Trends
Savannah today is a city with a high rate of violent crime. The mayor, Otis Johnson, has held an open forum on the issue. Upscale neighborhoods, African American neighborhoods, and commercial districts of downtown have been equally impacted by the crime wave. Murder rates have increased by 50% since 2004 and other types of crime, such as theft, have seen similar spikes.

In 2000, Savannah and Chatham County merged their city and county police departments. Although advertised as a way to cut costs and improve efficiency, the merger has cost more than expected and has resulted in a 100 officer shortage that the department is trying to remedy.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
GoTravel

Wow! Isn't that great Savannah is trying to curtail crime?

Just a note on the skewed crime rate statistics of Savannah; all crimes including those against tourists are included into Savannah's crime rate while only using Savannah's permanent population for the per capita numbers.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM

Don't know how we got from trip report to crime report - but I will add my 2 cents on latter.

Whether or not it is statistically real or not, there is a recent perceived increase in random crime in Savannah (our son is a college student living in community). Even as a young male, he reports "everyone knows" you don't go anywhere after dark (except perhaps River St) except in a group of greater than 2. He finds himself driving places which would easily be within walking distance for safety.

Still love Savannah, but when we visit we treat it like every other large city (even though it is not really large)
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM

This stuff just makes me shake my head. I won't weigh in with my usual comments when folks start talking about Savannah crime. If ""everyone knows" you don't go anywhere after dark" I asked myself where I feel comfortable walking alone in a city after dark.

Found it a bit amusing that immediate response (to myself) was NYC.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
bonniebroad

Ronkala, you say:

"It continued to rain as we traveled through Noth Carolina, so I was still unable to compare the blueness of the sky. I did notice though that the shrubs leafing out and the grass were George Mason green."

We have many things in this wonderful state of North Carolina but "George Mason green" is not one of them! (So the sky was cloudy ... THAT would be why we lost! )

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Curt,
With the majority of our attendees being WWII and Korean War vets, I doubt if any of us will will be roaming around at night.

BonnieB,
did you know that the BB coach at Elon U, this years Southern Conf. coach of the year once was the coach at GMU?

I forgot to mention how fantastic the Azaleas in Savannah were. We also got to Forsyth park while there, and that is a must see.