Grand Canyon January weather

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon January weather

I am planning a trip to Las Vegas in early January, I would like to add 2 days to see the Grand Canyon. I know it will be cold, I am concerned with snow and general road conditions in the area. Any help will be appeciated.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Real cold, especially at night, often near 0 F.

I am concerned with snow and general road conditions in the area.

If it's clear and sunny in Vegas it will be similar at the Canyon, just a lot colder. Storms blow in periodically from the Pacific, maybe every other week in a wet year, every 4 weeks in a 'normal' moisture year, twice a winter in a really dry year.

So when a storm blows past the Canyon will get snow for 1-2 days, then skies clear up quickly. Roads are usually plowed and clear of ice by mid-day after the storm, though 4 WD is a good idea for a day or two.

So watch the weather reports while in Vegas and plan accordingly. No need to reserve a room too far ahead of time, it's not that busy in the winter except on major holidays.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM

We visited in February 2006, flew open jaw, into Phoenix and out of LV--we were staying Sedona/Grand Canyon/LV. A snowstorm closed down the road to the Grand Canyon, so we were able to cancel our reservation at the El Tovar and extend our reservation at the Enchantment Resort(fabulous place but we only stay there when they offer off season rates).

I would visit in January. No crowds.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I was there in mid March and there was quite a build up of snow and ice. Very cold too. We didn't have trouble driving but you just had to guess where to park in the parking lot!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I'm going there the beginning of November. What's the probability of snow then? I was hoping it would be in the 60's during the day. Any chance of that?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I'm going there the beginning of November. What's the probability of snow then?

Pretty low odds on the south rim. Usually see the first heavy snows no earlier than Thanksgiving or even mid-December.

I was hoping it would be in the 60's during the day. Any chance of that?

Probably mid-50's, chance of low 60's for high temps in early November. But usually sunny so it feels very nice, like a crisp fall day.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Here's a chart showing monthly averages for the south rim --

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...graph/USAZ0089
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Visited the Canyon in late January. Had snow flurries and cold temps, but that didn't affect our visit. We were dressed for the weather ( and also bought a sweatshirt or two) and loved the experience. The air is clear and the views go on forever.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM

We visited the Grand Canyon from Phoenix the week after Christmas last year. It was cold, especially at night. There was some snow and ice on the upper part of the trail but nothing major. I think you will be fine, you just have to watch the weather forecasts!