Grand Canyon for the Novice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I will be visiting the Grand Canyon for the first time for four days in the beginning of October. We are very unfamiliar with the area and the parks and were hoping for some good travel advice. We want this trip to be very fun and memorable since it may be the only time we go out there. We are interested in taking a white water rapid tour one day and other tours (or day trips) on the rest of the days. Can anyone offer any advice on the best excursions to could squeeze into a four day period? I have a brochure for a vacation company called "GrandCanyon.com" which offers one day trips ranging from $85-$400.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Where are you staying? I know when we were in Las Vegas we took a one day tour that was well worth the money. It was 4 of us and a guide in an SUV. We went all along route 66, to the bottom of the Canyon at the Colorado river, up to the top and out through Joshua Tree National forest. It was a great day!

We did see rafters and they were having a blast but the water was cold and this was in August.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM

One thing to understand at the start.

There is a part of the Grand Canyon, called the West Rim, which is not part of the National Park. The canyon there is quite impressive, but nothing compared to what is viewable at either the South Rim or the North Rim. When a tour company states they will taking you to the "Grand Canyon," make certain to find out whether you will enter the National Park.

The one day raft ride will NOT take you into any part of the Canyon within the National Park. It may indeed be a great time, but it won't be what you see on the nature shows. Those type adventures are three-day minimum and invariably sell out a year in advance. Just be aware of what you're getting into.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Elizabeth:

Do a search above by clicking on Arizona. Lots of info should come up. Also, go to the Xanterra site to book accomodations at the Grand Canyon. Xanterra also has rafting trips available. The National Park Service also has a wealth of info.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM

If you are interested in a float trip on the Colorado River, but not in the Grand Canyon, then there is one you can take from the Grand Canyon and they bus you to Page, AZ where you will be driven thru a tunnel to the base of the Glen Canyon Dam, then you will board the rafts and you are taken on motorized rafts 14 miles down the river to Lee's Crossing and then bused back to the Grand Canyon. This is an all day tour and I highly recommend it...even if it's not in the Grand Canyon...it's still BEAUTIFUL!

You can do the same tour from Page, AZ and it will be cheaper and not as long because they don't have to bus you all the way back to the Grand Canyon, but you would need to get to Page, AZ on your own and might want to spend one night there instead of the Grand Canyon.

On the other days, I'd ride the free shuttle buses or walk along the rim to all the different overlooks. Make sure you drive out to Desert View and take in all the scenic views on the way.

Here are my pictures of the float trip:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

Utahtea
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I definitely want our excursions to be in the Grand Canyon. I didn't realize that these tour companies sometimes take you outside the GC...the way I look at it, what's the point of going to the GC if the tours are taking you somewhere else?

My mother and I are pretty open to anything. We were thinking about staying in the GC Village area which seems to be a central point. We want to rent an SUV in Phoenix (where we are flying into) and just drive around and enjoy the views. We definitely want to take excursions though...maybe a helicopter ride and an all day adventure trip (plane/jeep/raft).

The problem is, I am pretty "green" when it comes to navigating the GC area and figuring out what to book and from what companies.

I love all these tips.

Elizabeth
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

what some people do is hike into the canyon part way or all the way down--to see up close how the canyon changes as you go down. this is quite strenuous--adn if that sounds appealing but is too much, there are donkey rides to the bottom adn back up.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM

youngtom2910
Just though I'd let you know that you ride mules not donkeys. Sounds like the same thing but they aren't.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Elizabethian,

If you are planning to stay in the park at one of the lodges, I suggest you go ahead and book your room! When I went to book rooms in the park for the same general time as you (early October), selection was already quite limited.

We are flying into Pheonix as well, and we will also rent a vehicle there. On our list between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon: Montezuma's Castle, Sedona, and Red Mountain. It sounds as though we won't arrive in GC until you're leaving, but we'll probably pass each other on the highway!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Fairhope

We too are going in Oct- the middle-so I hope you will post trip reports. We are simply staying in Sedona and doing daytrips
My innkeeper has said that if we are hungry after leaving Phoenix airport we ought to try the Rock Springs Cafe at exit 242 on the way to Sedona. I noticed ther is a farmers market there too.
Are any of you thinking about a GC flight--I can't make up my mind which one to take.