Rafting th Grand Canyon

Search

Rafting th Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rafting th Grand Canyon

Need info on a great rafting company to do a 3-4 day rafting trip through the grand Canyon and then where to stay and what to do for 4-5 days after. Personally I would do 7 days rafting the Colorado but we are planning to go with 3-4 other families with kids 11-15 and the other women only can tolerate 3-4 days on the river. Any help would be appreciated. We are planning this for summer 2006.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Hi Katy,

It's hard to come up with all that info without much of an idea of what you are considering. Maybe if you check out some rafting companies, some activities, and some towns someone can comment on and fine tune your choices. I'm in Flagstaff and would be glad to help but don't really know where to start.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:31 AM

A good place to start is the US Park Service?s website for the Grand Canyon at http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm, and in particular the portion of the site on white-water rafting trips at http://www.nps.gov/grca/river. You will find links to commercial companies here. Companies must be licensed by the park to offer trips through the national park portion of the Canyon, and all licensed companies are listed on the site. You should book as soon as possible, as they are generally booked at least one year in advance.

Note that the one-day ?smooth water? trips are NOT in the Grand Canyon, but are in Glen Canyon, the exit river for the water in Lake Powell. This is about a 3 hour drive from the Grand Canyon itself. While it is a nice trip, there is no white-water.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:16 AM

I don't know if this will help, but a few years ago we did a rafting trip in California with a company called Oars. They offer Grand Canyon trips that are geared for families with varying levels of experience. They have a website (I'm assuming it's oars.com or something similar). We were delighted with them; they were knowledgeable and friendly, and safety was a big consideration. If I were to plan a trip like the one you're considering, these would be the people I'd contact.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Husband and I were at the Grand Canyon in August this year and we were told by a guide that there is something like an 8 year waiting list to raft the Colorado through the Grand Canyon with a tour company.

He also said that if you were to "do it on your own" there was an even longer waiting list. Can't verify his information but he seemed pretty clear on it.

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:25 AM

We did a rafting trip YEARS ago and loved it. At that time, the 3-4 day trips required that you HIKE in or out 6 miles from the South Rim - depending on if you wanted to do the first part of the river or the second half.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM

When I checked out

www.nps.gov/grca/river

I found the following info:

1) the eight year waiting list is for non-commercial rafting; ie, on your own.

2) Commercial trips can be fully booked as much as a year in advance. You are correct to start now for 2006.

3) The shortest trip through the NPS portion of the Canyon is seven days, unless (as noted earlier) you are willing to hike to or from Phantom Ranch.

4) You can take smooth water, one day raft trips outside the NPS portion of the Canyon.

I'm not certain if you expect your "4-5 days after" to take place at the Canyon or not. Unless you are into SERIOUS hiking, two to three days at the Canyon is pretty much the maximum, and that includes a day of hiking down and up the Bright Angel Trail. As much as I've grown to love the Canyon in my six visits there, I can't recommend a non-hiking visit of more than two days.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM

Have you rafted? If so would you make any recommendations as to company and/or duration?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

We are scheduled for a 6 day 5 night rafting trip through the grand canyon next July. We are going with Western River Expeditions. I did alot of research and this company best suited our needs.If you are planning a trip, make sure you book early to get dates you want. Need to do it about a year ahead. Hope this helps.