Smooth water float trip in Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a 1 day float trip down the Coloroda River through the Grand Canyon. Do all of the smooth water trips originate at Page? Which company is the best to use? Need advise!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM

I've been looking into this too. I found this float trip out of page. (It's at the bottom of the page)

http://www.lakepowell.com/information/tours.html

I haven't done this one but I was considering it this summer.

Utahtea
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:38 AM
ltt

don't know if it's similar to the white water rafting trips but if so, you need to book up to a year in advance sometimes.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I've been doing some more checking on the subject because we are also really interested in doing this.

http://www.lake-listiak.com/llapps/etrans/Etrans.ASP?WCI=table02&WCU

This web site tells even more about the 5 hour day. I've also checked availability and most days at the end of May, all of June, July and August trips are still available. I guess it would be best to book at least a month or so in advance.

Utahtea
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:43 AM

I don't think there are any smooth water float trips through the Grand Canyon. The only smooth water float trips I know of go through Glen Canyon, and start at the Glen Canyon Dam at the head of Lake Powell in Page.

The trip is very beautiful, but it is not the grand canyon, as Glen Canyon is no where as deep; however it does have good cliff walls and lots of wildlife. It is a good alternative if you can't get a reservation for the Grand Canyon trip, or if you don't want do encounter white water. It is also good if you have small children who really can't do the whitewater part. You also get to see the dam which is pretty interesting. If is basically a full day tour, going out in the morning and returning around 4 pm. We were picked up by the bus just outside the entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon Natl Park, I believe there are other pick-up points.

The only way to go down through the Grand Canyon is over white-water areas; and as the post above indicates, these trips are generally booked a year in advance.

A website for info on float tours in Glen Canyon:
http://www.riveradventures.com

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:26 PM

My husband and I took took a 1/2 float trip down the Colorado starting from the Glen Canyon Dam. I made reservations through the Page Chamber of Commerce. The float trip was the highlight of the trip. If you do the float trip in Page, be sure to check out Horseshoe Bend from above--the locals can tell you where to find it. Not sure what else you have planned, but Antelope Canyon is well worth seeing also.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:11 PM

To tweety13,

How far in advance did you make your reservations for the float trip and what time of the year was it.

Utahtea
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM

utatea, my rough guide book gives this info: wahweap is the base for float trips down marble canyon to lees ferry. half-day tours all year, $42 adults, $35 under 12s; all day apr.-oct. only, $62 adults, $55 kids. lake powell resorts and marinas, phone 1-800-528-6154. they also offer other trips. hope this helps.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I made our float trip reservations about 3 months in advance. They also requested that we pay in advance. We took the float trip the 3rd week in September--the weather was perfect. Be sure to take sunscreen and a jacket. It would get quite cool in the shade. Some people also ordered sandwiches from the Wahweap Lodge. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more [email protected].