Search

Grand Canyon Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Trip

I'll be visiting the Grand Canyon with my 12 year old Granddaughter at the end of May, early June.

Has anyone stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge in the Grand Canyon Village? Or do you have any other lodging suggestions? (El Tovar is already full).

Flying into Phoenix, renting a car, driving up to the South Rim. Any other great places to visit with a 12 year old? Or places to stay within a driving distance (7 day trip?)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
geordias
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:00 PM

First, avoid the Grand Canyon on Memorial Day weekend. We talked to a shuttle bus driver and he say it's a ZOO during that weekend...we almost went but decided against it and were SO GLAD!

On the drive up to the Grand Canyon you might enjoy a quick stop at Montezuma's Castle National Monument. This is a 5 story cliff dwelling just above the town of Camp Verde. Also in the area is Sedona and Oakcreek Canyon.

You and your Granddaugher might enjoy a float trip on the Colorado River. There are no rapids, infact the rafts are motorized to take you down the river from the dam. I thought it was a lot of fun and I'm a Grandmother too. You can take the float trip from the Grand Canyon but it cost more and you have to be on the bus longer or you can do the float trip from Page, AZ. This is the home of Glen Canyon National Recreational Area and Lake Powell. Also nearby is Upper Antelope Slots Canyon. This is a guided 1 hour walk and well worth it.

I don't know how much moving around you would want to do, but there are so many wonderful places in the area to visit. Bryce Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, Monument Valley, Painted Desert & Petrified Forest, and Canyon de Chelly National Monument. The 1/2 day tour of Canyon de Chelly is very interesting and we were there over the Memorial Day Weekend (instead of the Grand Canyon) and there were hardly any people around.

Here is a link to my pictures taken in the area:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pictu...ation.list.htm

Utahtea
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:02 PM

Bright Angel is fine - they have cabins and the actual lodge (within 100 yards of each other). We stayed in cabins - basic clean accomodations - beds, bureau, TV, private bath. On the small side but right at the Rim - walk down a short path and you are there. (I don't think Bright Angel is actually in the area that they call Grand Canyon Village, but I could be wrong. It is in a cluster that includes El Tovar, Maswik and several places to eat.)

Park the car at or near Bright Angel and ride one of the 2 shuttle bus loops to see more of Canyon. One has about 15 stops at different lookout points. Another does loop in other direction with fewer viewing points, but stops at Visitors Center, book store, etc.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:23 AM

We also stayed at Bright Angel. Cabins are basic, but clean, and location is great with the canyon at your doorstep. Would definitely go back.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I realize you already mentioned that the El Tovar was full, but perhaps calling the hotel to be placed on a waitlist would be to your benefit. I have heard of other travellers doing with some success. I definately think it's worth it. The El Tovar is a marvelous hotel.